ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
A top prospect with a potential congenital heart defect that could kill him anytime.

A bit risky, don't blame them for passing
Somebody was going to put a jersey on him and send him out there. I hope the Colts made the right call on it, but it's hard to look at the tape and the measurables and think they did.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Somebody was going to put a jersey on him and send him out there. I hope the Colts made the right call on it, but it's hard to look at the tape and the measurables and think they did.
25 other teams made the same call.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
He had arguably the best DE in the draft fall into his lap. All the pass rushers weren't gone. Ultimately all I care about is getting quality talent on the roster, but it's difficult to reconcile that with the Colts passing on one of the best talents in this draft was passed on just to pick up a 2nd round pick next year. Honestly this move would make much more sense if it was their 1 next year. Passing on a player that should've gone top 10 in this draft on talent alone makes a lot more sense if you're locking in a top 15 pick in next year's draft.
If he was such a sure thing, why was he passed over 25 times before the Colts pick arrived (and with many of those teams focused on DL prospects)? Look, this was a typical Raiders / Washington move - go for the big name and ignore the red flags that the other, wiser teams see. Dan Snyder runs his team like a fan.

I wasn't overwhelmed with the return we received from the trade, but I like how Ballard is always focused on the long term success even if its disappointing to the fans to not make a pick on the first day. In a week, we won't care that we didn't have a first round pick, we'll just be focused on the players Ballard selected.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Only one team traded away the pick that was used to draft him though. If Sweat reaches his potential Ballard is going to look foolish.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:44 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
That doesn't make it the right call. 28 teams passed on DeMarcus Lawrence (29 if you count the Cowboys passing on him in round 1). Do you think any of those teams regret that decision?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Not really. Some teams had other needs.

He may have been misdiagnosed:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-misdiagnosed

Quote:
Sweat recently met with Houston Texans team doctor Dr. James Muntz and was told he had been misdiagnosed with a heart condition in February while at the scouting combine, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday, via sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

Tests taken at the combine revealed Sweat might have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which results in thickening of the heart walls, as doctors in Indianapolis measured nearly two centimeters of thickness, according to Rapoport. Sweat has since met with several experts, who concluded that doctors at the combine accidentally included capillary muscle in their testing and that Sweat's actual measurement is about 1.5 centimeters, Rapoport added.

"Which would mean there is no risk for Montez Sweat under this diagnosis," Rapoport said. "This discrepancy would explain why some teams are absolutely fine with it."
Doesn't much matter now, Ballard and crew passed on him, so hopefully they don't regret that and get some decent players out of the trade down.

Last edited by Maniac; 04-26-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Only one team traded away the pick that was used to draft him though. If Sweat reaches his potential Ballard is going to look foolish.
So many of these comments remind me of the post-draft threads from last year, when everyone was complaining about the selection of Nelson, Leonard, and (to a lesser degree) Smith.

It’s certainly possible that Sweat could succeed, no question. I’m certainly in no position to speak meaningfully about Sweat's skills relative to the other DL prospects, or more importantly his medical condition. I just know that lots of smart teams passed over him (or didn’t make an effort to trade up to get him), and a perennially dumb team (Washington) did. As we sit here today, I’ll side with history and say that I think the chances are that this will turn out better for us than it does for Washington.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
So many of these comments remind me of the post-draft threads from last year, when everyone was complaining about the selection of Nelson, Leonard, and (to a lesser degree) Smith.

It’s certainly possible that Sweat could succeed, no question. I’m certainly in no position to speak meaningfully about Sweat's skills relative to the other DL prospects, or more importantly his medical condition. I just know that lots of smart teams passed over him (or didn’t make an effort to trade up to get him), and a perennially dumb team (Washington) did. As we sit here today, I’ll side with history and say that I think the chances are that this will turn out better for us than it does for Washington.
While I find your post (and almost all of your posts) irritating the only thing I'm going to say is that I didn't complain about any of the draft picks you listed.

And remind any that need it that disagreeing with a move does not mean that I or anyone else critical of said move means we think Ballard is stupid, incompetent, a bad GM, is less smart than Colts fans on the internet, or should be fired.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Dam8610 (04-26-2019), Maniac (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Not really. Some teams had other needs.

He may have been misdiagnosed:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-misdiagnosed

Doesn't much matter now, Ballard and crew passed on him, so hopefully they don't regret that and get some decent players out of the trade down.
I heard this Sunday and then again leading up to the draft. I wonder if all the teams knew and simply some ignored it because they couldn't confirm it themselves. If so Sweat lost a lot of money yesterday and we might have missed out.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:06 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I heard this Sunday and then again leading up to the draft. I wonder if all the teams knew and simply some ignored it because they couldn't confirm it themselves. If so Sweat lost a lot of money yesterday and we might have missed out.
Yeah I don't know. Hopefully for his health it was a misdiagnosis. If so, yes he lost out on a lot of money and is probably pissed off about that, but he can still make a ton of money by proving the doubters wrong.

I'm not saying Ballard was wrong with their choice not to pick him. It's just a bit surprising.