ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2021, 12:02 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Lost in all the debate about Reich is what I see as the true issue with this team. Here are the last 7 possession for TB:

TD (84 yd drive)
Kneel down - end of half
TD (65 yd drive)
TD (65 yd drive)
Punt - fumbled by Hines
FG (13 yds - off the fumble)
TD (75 yd drive)

Last 4 against Baltimore:

TD (75 yd drive)
TD (78 yd drive)
TD (75 yd drive)
TD (68 yd drive)

Yet I’m expected to believe the issue with this team is that Reich didn’t sprinkle in a few more runs? I’m sorry that’s BS. The Colts two best wins of the season were SF and Buffalo. One common theme I see in those games was that the defense was significantly aided by bad weather. Otherwise this D simply collapses. Look at the length of drives. Other than the Hines fumble on the punt (the only defensive stop from 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter) this is not a case of the D being constantly put in bad situations by the offense.

Reich seems to recognize something many Colts fans don’t - the defense sucks and the Colts best chance at winning is scoring points however that can be done. Not by getting a two score lead and milking the clock. It’s one of the reasons I agree with Reich almost every time he goes for it on 4th down. Because the Colts best shot at winning is by scoring points. The D excels at creating turnovers, otherwise decent offenses have their way with them. That is the primary reason this team is 6-6 not Reich’s play calling.
Agree, the D has consistently folded. There's a lot to put on Ballard there because the DE position has just consistently not gotten the job done leaving our backfield trying to cover for far too long. However when a guy nearly everyone lauds for his analysis in Venturi literally scoffs at the fact that we play a high school scheme, and this same SH!T defensive strategy is run out there every damn week, the bigger problem to me is clearly the DC. I hate his scheme, his near 100% reliance on Darius to make a play, and the incredible repetitive 70%+ completion rate of QB after QB against him.

Then again, Frank Reich is the HC, he has the power to sit down with him and demand we do something different. Oh, wait, Frank probably had no idea we played cover 2 for 87 plays straight, I bet no one told him.

Gut em' and start over!
Old 12-01-2021, 12:03 AM

Dude, we have an amazing team that is PRIMED!
Old 12-01-2021, 12:05 AM

Let’s GO!
Old 12-01-2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Agree, the D has consistently folded. There's a lot to put on Ballard there because the DE position has just consistently not gotten the job done leaving our backfield trying to cover for far too long. However when a guy nearly everyone lauds for his analysis in Venturi literally scoffs at the fact that we play a high school scheme, and this same SH!T defensive strategy is run out there every damn week, the bigger problem to me is clearly the DC. I hate his scheme, his near 100% reliance on Darius to make a play, and the incredible repetitive 70%+ completion rate of QB after QB against him.

Then again, Frank Reich is the HC, he has the power to sit down with him and demand we do something different. Oh, wait, Frank probably had no idea we played cover 2 for 87 plays straight, I bet no one told him.

Gut em' and start over!
I’m not particularly a fan of the scheme either, but no scheme works without a pass rush. They started the season with no DE with double digit sacks CUMULATIVE for their career. And Eberflus was Ballard’s pick for defensive coordinator, not Reich’s. He was hired before Reich.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
You seem to think that since Wentz was on fire we did the correct thing in keeping passing. Maybe you were being sarcastic and I totally missed it. My point was that going with the guy on fire got us a loss. I don't believe Wentz is good enough to carry a team like he is being asked or wants to, whatever is the case. I think we need to not pass 20 some odd times in a row, no matter how hot the qb is. The team has no identity.
5 turnovers got us a loss. And the identity of this team is very simple. Stop Taylor and Wentz will drop 30 on you. Stop Wentz and Taylor will rush for 160. Either way, there isn’t a defense in the league that’s good enough to hold them under 4 TD’s
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-01-2021), Racehorse (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Puck I agree with you that if you qb is having a hot game you need to ride him more. I just think that we need to run the ball way more than we did if we want to be effective long term. Throwing like 26 times in a row isn't riding the hot hand. It is a whole new game plan. Lawrence Owen has a link to a podcast with D'Qwell Jackson on this site. He and Edge make the same point I am trying to make but do it much clearer and with more nuance than I do. We need to be more balanced. And it is not just about this game, it is about how the whole season has gone. When things get difficult we just do not have an identity to fall back on.
You’ve got to keep in mind that 8 or 9 of those passes came in the two minute drill that ended the 1st half. If you have problems, it should be with the first 16 plays of the 2nd half.

And, it’s not as though Reich called 16 straight passes. A number of them were called RPO’s, which would have been runs if Tampa hadn’t been stacking the box.

Last edited by Kray007; 12-01-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:16 AM

Thanked 4,434 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
No idea what you are saying. Talk to me like I'm 5 yrs old
I suppose you want a spanking, too. You are so kinky.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:18 AM

Thanked 4,434 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Oh I think there is an identity to this team. That identity is one of a megalomaniac smart guy that is dead set on proving he can beat teams with his play calling. It's costing us games over and over. But, ehhh, he's a really nice guy and good with the media so....
Nah, you aren't on the team
Old 12-01-2021, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Nah, you aren't on the team
Oh, really, gonna do the you can't use "us" then. Next game thread, my expectation is every time someone says "we", you will add the disclaimer to their post assuring the readership that said poster is not on the team either. Thanks for the civic service.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,031 Posts

Quote:

Oh, really, gonna do the you can't use "us" then. Next game thread, my expectation is every time someone says "we", you will add the disclaimer to their post assuring the readership that said poster is not on the team either. Thanks for the civic service.

o

I think that his joke was insinuating that you were the megalomaniac smart guy instead of Reich, not that you were just a fan who didn't contribute to the play on the field.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-01-2021)