ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-27-2018, 10:49 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I’d be thrilled with that haul from day 2. I could be talked into adding another OG or OT in the 2nd, but I hope like hell they avoid RB and WR on day 2. With the state of this defense those are simply luxury picks you can’t afford right now.
Another reason why we need to wait on fully evaluating the Nelson pick. If you told me going into the draft that we would end up with this package from rounds 1-3, I would have been elated.

Nelson
Landry
Jefferson
Oliver
Hurst
Old 04-27-2018, 11:00 AM

A couple of random thoughts from Day 1:

1) Take note that Ballard has succeeded in absolutely locking down any leaks to the media. Prior to the draft, there were no hints that Nelson was going to be picked. All of the "insider" information being circulated in the media suggested the pick would be Smith if Chubb wasn't available. Just keep this in mind the next time you hear a Colt-related rumor purporting to be from an anonymous insider.

2) The Jets justified their trade with the Colts. Sounded like highway robbery at first, but as it turned out it looks like the Jets did pretty well for themselves. Still a great deal for the Colts, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Another reason why we need to wait on fully evaluating the Nelson pick. If you told me going into the draft that we would end up with this package from rounds 1-3, I would have been elated.

Nelson
Landry
Jefferson
Oliver
Hurst
I'd be very surprised if the Giants pass on Landry, he would be JJP's replacement.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

1) Take note that Ballard has succeeded in absolutely locking down any leaks to the media. Prior to the draft, there were no hints that Nelson was going to be picked. All of the "insider" information being circulated in the media suggested the pick would be Smith if Chubb wasn't available. Just keep this in mind the next time you hear a Colt-related rumor purporting to be from an anonymous insider.

2) The Jets justified their trade with the Colts. Sounded like highway robbery at first, but as it turned out it looks like the Jets did pretty well for themselves. Still a great deal for the Colts, of course.
Both teams made out well with the trade. Jets got their QB and the Colts added more 2nd round picks.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
I'd be very surprised if the Giants pass on Landry, he would be JJP's replacement.
I could easily see them going OL and doubling down on the Barkley pick.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

Makes me wonder if the Colts could have gotten more if they traded #3 when they were on the clock. Oh well, it was a good package anyway.

BTW, I'm still pissed Pagano won in Week 17. I think Ballard squeezes NYJ for next year's 1st instead of 2nd if the Jets were moving up to #2 pre-draft.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
It’s not that Nelson sucks, its that he’s a guard. There are reasons guards don’t get drafted at 6. Nelson pretty much has to get enshrined in Canton to come close to justifying the pick. And I’m all about protecting Luck - that’s why I was pissed that Ballard did nothing in free agency to address the line. Ballard refused to use an asset that was plentiful (cap space) to address the line and instead used one that is scarce (top 10 pick) to do it. In the process he passed on two great LB prospects. Do you think he can sign a pro bowl LB in free agency next year?
I think this a reasonable argument, and since I've spent a fair amount of time expressing my support of Ballard, I'll make an effort to respond:

1) First, to be fair, its not like he didn't try to address the guard situation in free agency. That was the one position where he made the most concentrated (though unsuccessful) effort to address in free agency (in retrospect, perhaps that should have been a hint to us that Nelson might be the pick). I think he made an effort to sign all of the top available guards, but he was outbid. You can certainly say he should have paid more, but I'm sure we can both agree that there is a limit after which even you wouldn't pay what the free agent guard was asking for. The guards went beyond Ballard's threshold, and he signed Slauson instead - who I'm hopeful will be a serviceable solution for a year or two.

2) If we are to believe what we read, Nelson's skills likely exceed those of the free agent guards that were available.

3) Maybe he wasn't as enthralled with the two LB prospects you are referring to (Smith and Edmunds, presumably) as everyone seems to think. I know that popular speculation had the Colts considering these guys, but I'm not sure how reliable any of this is because its pretty clear that Ballard has really locked down the leaks from the front office. I don't recall reading any reports of sources suggesting that the Colts were seriously interested or planning to take Nelson prior to the draft.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Puck (04-27-2018), Racehorse (04-27-2018), Spike (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Nelson
Landry
Jefferson
Oliver
Hurst
Without a doubt when you consider the picks from the trade back it makes the Nelson pick a little easier to stomach. Absolutely great move by Ballard
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Puck (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Makes me wonder if the Colts could have gotten more if they traded #3 when they were on the clock. Oh well, it was a good package anyway.
I think absolutely they could have, but I don’t see any way you can fault Ballard for not waiting. He got a premium for the move back and wasn’t at the mercy of an unpredictable draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Thorgrim (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I think absolutely they could have, but I don’t see any way you can fault Ballard for not waiting. He got a premium for the move back and wasn’t at the mercy of an unpredictable draft.
Yeah, and it allowed them to focus more scouting resources on players 20-50 on their board.