ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2022, 08:58 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
The only thing Pierce and Welker have in common is being white.
Really, I hadn't noticed?

How about Jordy Nelson then?
Old 09-19-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Why? What the fuck has Ballard done to make this team better.? He had the most cap space in the league and a shit ton of draft picks to work with coming off an underachieving season and we're worse at OL, WR, TE, CB, and no better at QB and DL.
Well, let's see, we had 7 pro bowlers just last year so there's that. He drafted Taylor, Pittman, Stewart, Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Hines, and Blackmon (I'm probably forgetting a few) as well as several other recent/good role players. Sure, he's had some misfires (particularly at DE, where he's invested several high picks), but his batting average has been much better than most - and way better than the years that preceded him. And with the notable exception of Nelson, all without any picks in the top half of the first round. What team in the second half of the draft has done better?

In free agency/trades, he's been fairly restrained - he resisted the temptation to sign some of the big names that some here have passionately advocated (I recall Le'Veon Bell, Landon Collins and Andrew Norwall off the top of my head), but he's added a limited number that seem pretty good - Buckner, Ryan, Gilmore. Who are the other players he should have added?

At LT, Castanzo just retired in January of last year. He signed Fisher at first, an injury gamble that didn't work out as hoped. Maybe he could have gone after Trent Williams, so I guess that's not an unreasonable criticism. This year, not sure why he thought Pryor was the answer, but he also drafted a well-regarded guy and its early so we'll see. But I get the LT criticism, though most of you are saying that the established players are a big part of the problem on the rest of the line, so why is that Ballard's fault?

At WR, take away any teams' top two WRs and you'll have a thin receiving corps and some less than recognizable names. Pittman appears to be growing into the role the team envisioned for him but got hurt, jury's not back on Pierce yet. As much as I like TY, I don't think he would be making a material difference at this point in his career. Maybe Julio Jones? The guy hasn't played well in recent years and gets hurt. Again, I think some criticism of Ballard is certainly warranted, but certainly not as vicious as many are being. If his faith in Pittman and Pierce proves to be misguided, then I'd see the the criticism more clearly.

At QB, I don't really see much reason for criticism at all. He hasn't had a super high draft pick where most of the top QBs are found, so what have been his options? He's brought in well-regarded, experienced guys - exactly what everyone seems to think he should do at these other positions - but none so far (save perhaps Rivers, who he tried to re-sign) have performed to the level which would warrant keeping them for more than one season. I continue to maintain that although the Wentz trade didn't turn out great in retrospect, it was a worthwhile gamble under the circumstances - and Ballard cut his losses immediately to minimize the damages.

The rest of the criticisms focus on underperforming veteran guys who have shown they are capable of much better play in prior seasons. That, to me, is on the coaching staff and the players themselves. Ballard provides the talent, Reich should develop it (though overpaying these players would be on Ballard). I like Reich and want him to succeed, but ultimately getting the players to perform is his job. Incidentally, it's funny to look back at the list of guys that Ballard interviewed at the time he "hired" McDaniel and then hired Reich - several were unproven/unknown at the time but other teams have since identified and hired some of these guys as head coaches (including Dan Campbell, Matt Ruhle, Mike Vrabel if I recall correctly).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (09-19-2022), Racehorse (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 09:55 PM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Well, let's see, we had 7 pro bowlers just last year so there's that. He drafted Taylor, Pittman, Stewart, Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Hines, and Blackmon (I'm probably forgetting a few) as well as several other recent/good role players. Sure, he's had some misfires (particularly at DE, where he's invested several high picks), but his batting average has been much better than most - and way better than the years that preceded him. And with the notable exception of Nelson, all without any picks in the top half of the first round. What team in the second half of the draft has done better?
Every single other team in the league who have had no problems beating the Jagoffs. That's who.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
If you're looking for Alec Pierce to be Wes Welker, prepare to be disappointed. If you're looking for him to be D.K. Metcalf lite, you might not be.
I don't expect him to be Wes Welker, I was just saying he might end up being a very good possession receiver...I see him working out of the slot position, but I hope this concussion problem was just a freak thing, I'm not aware of him having many injuries problems in college. Jordy Nelson would probably be a better comparison, again not saying he will be as good as either of these guys, just saying he could end up being that type of player if we are very lucky!
Spike (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Every single other team in the league who have had no problems beating the Jagoffs. That's who.
Missed the point. And no problems? Jacksonville beat Buffalo last year and held them to 6 points. Allen had 2 INTs and no TDs. Jacksonville is likely much better this year, without Meyer and with Lawrence having a year under his belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:22 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,139 Times in 646 Posts

Our division is trash…

Beat the Chiefs

Let’s get rolling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (09-19-2022), Racehorse (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
I don't expect him to be Wes Welker, I was just saying he might end up being a very good possession receiver...I see him working out of the slot position, but I hope this concussion problem was just a freak thing, I'm not aware of him having many injuries problems in college. Jordy Nelson would probably be a better comparison, again not saying he will be as good as either of these guys, just saying he could end up being that type of player if we are very lucky!
I don't think either one of these comparisons are apt at all, aside from the fact that you are comparing AP to white receivers. But he is nothing like Welker as a player.
Any recent comparison that I would hope AP can become would be someone like AJ Green. They have a similar build and length. AP is a bit thicker, but likely less nimble.
Only time well tell...so far AP has shown exactly nothing, albeit he did take a huge cheap shot in game 1 that led to his concussion. We need him to step up and start developing, badly
Old 09-20-2022, 07:56 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Missed the point. And no problems? Jacksonville beat Buffalo last year and held them to 6 points. Allen had 2 INTs and no TDs. Jacksonville is likely much better this year, without Meyer and with Lawrence having a year under his belt.
Jags could easily win this division.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSayDayo View Post
I don't think either one of these comparisons are apt at all, aside from the fact that you are comparing AP to white receivers. But he is nothing like Welker as a player.
Any recent comparison that I would hope AP can become would be someone like AJ Green. They have a similar build and length. AP is a bit thicker, but likely less nimble.
Only time well tell...so far AP has shown exactly nothing, albeit he did take a huge cheap shot in game 1 that led to his concussion. We need him to step up and start developing, badly
Jordy Nelson is almost exactly the same size, and I can easily see Alec being used in a similar way. I have also seen articles from analyst that compared the two. My comparison to Welker was a poor comparison, I admit that, but I was just trying to say he might end up being a bust or end up being a great clutch possession receiver. He supposedly has great hands and runs precise routes.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:32 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
It's not the talent level of the comparison that I was taking issue with, it's the play style. You could say Hunter Renfrow and I'd disagree for the same reason. Slot receivers like Welker and Renfrow rely on quickness, agility, and route running ability to create separation. X receivers like D.K. Metcalf, Jordy Nelson, or even Calvin Johnson are big receivers with the strength to get off of a jam, and the speed to run by defenders and make plays using their size and speed. Usually their route trees are far more limited, but they're very effective at using their size and speed to maximize the effectiveness of the routes they run, like "boxing out" a CB using their body on a slant, or beating a jam to win a fade route over the top.