ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2021, 08:16 AM

Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post

Gregory Rousseau
Jayson Oweh
Ronnie Perkins
Payton Turner
Joseph Ossai
Joe Tryon
Cameron Sample
Dayo Odeyingbo
Rashad Weaver
Tarron Jackson
Osa Odighizuwa
Milton Williams
Jaylen Twyman
Elerson Smith
Quincy Roche
William Bradley-King
I would throw Patrick Jones II into that group as a late 2 or early 3 player.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:10 AM

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:

I'm not saying you're wrong because of this, but your ranking is the most consensus ranking of the QB position (6 is Mond, typically, by the way). That suggests to me that you're doing less watching of the film and more listening to the pundits who all seem to have this tendency to want to align with one another rather than have their own opinions. There should be a larger variance in prospect rankings than what exists in the general draft "expert" community, because not everyone is going to value the same traits at each position. I know that the traits I value at the QB position are the result of seeing what went right with my good evaluations over the years and what went wrong with my bad ones, and they tend to differ vastly from a lot of the scouting community.
Translation: I want everyone to think I am the smartest in the room

Add in the 17 players you listed as people you like for other rounds, and you are throwing out a bunch of names, hoping to be able to point back here when one of them does well and say you knew it. You are probably the guy at parties who everyone avoids due to being a blowhard know-it-all.
Spike (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 09:40 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Neither Houston nor Ngakoue has to play 9 tech to be successful, nor would Ojulari. Fortunately for us, Ron Meeks isn't still here, otherwise they might try. I'll admit Ojulari is more of a long term play than a short term quick fix to the pass rush problem. I think drafting Ojulari would almost certainly be accompanied by resigning Houston, which would allow the Colts to bring him along slowly and allow Ojulari to learn from two pass rushers he likely has a great deal of respect for that also share his size and speed profile in Houston and Robert Mathis.

Regarding Phillips, I know you respect Brett Kollman's opinion, so do I. Kollman released a video calling Phillips "a terrifying combination of the Watt brothers" last month. While I'm not as high on him as Brett is, if you watch that video, or really any tape of Phillips in 2020, you'll see a technically sound DE with length and athleticism that uses all those traits to effectively generate pressure and disrupt the opposing offense. That was exactly what I saw out of TJ Watt in 2016 when I wanted the Colts to either trade down and pick him or see him slide to their pick in Round 2 of the 2017 draft. Regarding Phillips's injury history, it's a valid concern, there's no two ways about that, and ultimately drafting Phillips would be contingent on getting clearance from the medical staff that they believe his injury history won't have a significant impact on his long term viability as an NFL player. But my understanding is Phillips's injury history is somewhat fluky in nature, he's just had very bad luck, like the moped accident you mentioned, but I wouldn't question his passion for the game based on UCLA's stupid rule that 3 concussions (and it was 3, not 4) is an automatic forced medical retirement from football at UCLA. In fact, I would argue his coming back from that and transferring elsewhere to finish his collegiate career proves a great passion for football, as he had the perfect out to get away from the game if he wanted to in UCLA's rule. Instead, he sought out a transfer, found a team he was able to make an impact with, and went out and had a pretty solid, productive season that was also injury free. It has to go through the medical team, but Phillips could be another guy like Watt and Sweat that we'll be wishing Ballard had pulled the trigger on several years later if he doesn't. As for a comp for Phillips, I already gave my reasoning on TJ Watt, but Phillips and Chase Young were neck and neck for top DE in the country when they came out of high school. That's mostly tongue in cheek, of course.

I fully understand this team has a long term need for a #1 shutdown corner type, but I also recognize that need as more long term the way the roster stands at present. CB is also a position that Ballard has had a lot of success at finding a lot of value on Day 3 and in UDFA, where DE/EDGE has been less successful in those regards. I'm not saying it's impossible the Colts would draft a CB at 21 or 54, but to me, doing that leaves you with a major glaring hole at LT or EDGE going into 2021 that you can try to fill with a developmental guy, but that may not work. If a CB is not drafted at 21 or 54, the Colts go into 2021 with Xavier Rhodes, Kenny Moore, Rock Ya-Sin, TJ Carrie, Isaiah Rodgers (who looked good down the stretch), and Marvell Tell III. That's a solid depth chart already, and while it would likely be intelligent to supplement it with a Day 2 pick in 2022 since Rhodes and Carrie aren't getting any younger, it's a fine group to get through the 2021 season with IMO.

I think there are a lot of players with a lot of potential to develop into quality pass rushers on Day 2 and beyond. A small list, in no particular order, that I think could find success as a pure edge or in the Denico Autry role for the Colts and could be available on Day 2:

Gregory Rousseau
Jayson Oweh
Ronnie Perkins
Payton Turner
Joseph Ossai
Joe Tryon
Cameron Sample
Dayo Odeyingbo
Rashad Weaver
Tarron Jackson
Osa Odighizuwa
Milton Williams
Jaylen Twyman
Elerson Smith
Quincy Roche
William Bradley-King

Knowing Ballard's tendency to greatly value Senior Bowl performance, keep your eye on Elerson Smith, Tarron Jackson, and Cameron Sample from that group, as all 3 had excellent practice weeks at the Senior Bowl, most of all Elerson Smith, who seemed to beat everyone there in the same way Quinn Meinerz did, he just didn't get as much attention for it.

I'm not saying you're wrong because of this, but your ranking is the most consensus ranking of the QB position (6 is Mond, typically, by the way). That suggests to me that you're doing less watching of the film and more listening to the pundits who all seem to have this tendency to want to align with one another rather than have their own opinions. There should be a larger variance in prospect rankings than what exists in the general draft "expert" community, because not everyone is going to value the same traits at each position. I know that the traits I value at the QB position are the result of seeing what went right with my good evaluations over the years and what went wrong with my bad ones, and they tend to differ vastly from a lot of the scouting community. An easy example of this is that I value athleticism from the QB position much less than the average NFL scout or draft pundit, and I value anticipation throws much more. That's because, as I explained before, athleticism can land a QB on IR and/or cut his career short, and good pocket mobility is often a sufficient substitute at the QB position for athleticism, and one that will keep your QB around longer. Anticipation throws, meanwhile, are a good barometer of how much preparation work a QB is putting in, how well that QB understands the concepts of his offense and how quickly he can pick them up, and how well that QB can read a defense in real time, as well as pick up subtle nuances on certain players that will give him situational advantages in games. I'd say out of the scouting community that exists right now, the people who I most closely align with on evaluating QBs are Kyle Shanahan and Chris Simms. That's why I fully believe Mac Jones will be the pick at 3 and that the talk happening there isn't a smokescreen in the slightest.

Also, your comment on Mac Jones there doesn't make much sense to me. Of course situation is important for Mac Jones, situation is important for every player. Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be Patrick Mahomes had the Dolphins drafted him. Nate Solder would've likely been the colossal bust I thought he was destined to be had Dante Scarnecchia not gotten hold of him. Joey Galloway and Joe Horn were highly talented receivers who were never quite as good as Marvin Harrison in part because neither Galloway nor Horn ever had elite QB play, whereas Marvin had the greatest QB to ever play throwing him the ball for all but one season of his career. I could name hundreds and thousands more examples like this, but I think the point is made.
NO, just fucking NO! I have already told you that I watched a lot of Clemson games, and it is my fucking opinion that he is the best QB coming out of college. I didn't need the pundits to tell me what I saw. He is head and shoulders the best QB coming out of college, period! You have a lot of great points, but you are not the only one who watches game tape. I just am not as high on Jones as you are. Plus, Sewell is going to be a great pro.

As far as Marvin vs. Galloway, give me a fucking break here please. Give either one of them the same QB and Marvin would still be head and shoulders the better wide receiver. Just watch the fucking tape, like you say you do. Marvin was better in every aspect of the game than Galloway.

The bottom line though is that anyone who would take Jones over Lawrence is living in crazy town. Lawrence can take a bad team and make them better, Jones just fucking can't. Jones can go to a team like the 49ers or Pats and do well though. Remember that Shanahan wanted Cousins, that is who Jones is.

As far as the rankings go, I will say that I really only watched Lawrence, Fields, and Jones. The other 2, not so much.

Last edited by Spike; 04-18-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
What about Carl Lawson? What about Ngakoue? What about Okwara? What about JJ watt? What about the pass rushers last year or the year before?

At least the Titans are trying to fix the problem. Oh and they won the division last year. Barret seemed to have a pretty good impact on the Bucs.

What’s your answer Jaff? Ben Banagu? How are they going to fix it? Because it’s been a problem for years now
He next best threat for the colts is in the draft.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Jaff, I like you brother, but don't post when you have been drinking. At least for me, it hurts my brain.
Chromeburn (04-18-2021), Racehorse (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 04:57 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
For next year? That’s a pretty big gamble that a rookie is going to come in and solve your pass rush. Since 2015 five rookies have had 9 sacks or more. Four of them were top ten picks.

Odds are this is not going to happen. You guys keep acting like the draft is a sure thing and FA is a gamble. FA is a safer bet than the draft. At least you have performances against other pros.

And we still haven’t even talked about addressing WR and TE. Irsay said he wants two more explosive players on offensive, don’t know how thats going to happen at this point.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
For next year? That’s a pretty big gamble that a rookie is going to come in and solve your pass rush. Since 2015 five rookies have had 9 sacks or more. Four of them were top ten picks.

Odds are this is not going to happen. You guys keep acting like the draft is a sure thing and FA is a gamble. FA is a safer bet than the draft. At least you have performances against other pros.

And we still haven’t even talked about addressing WR and TE. Irsay said he wants two more explosive players on offensive, don’t know how thats going to happen at this point.
Nothing is certain. If you dont like what is in front of you, you look somewhere else.

There is no perfect answer. There is no magic wand to make this better. But you make the decisions you wanna make rather than the ones you’re forced into.

The draft comes you make a deal you move up to get the guy you want. Or you trade back and get more pics and find out there.

There is no magic eight ball to give you the right answer. It’s a gamble it always has been. Chris Ballard is playing the long game. It sucks and it’s Chancey but it’s what we have. It doesn’t bother me because I’m not responsible for it. Every decision Ballard makes, could impact his job as in keeping it.

We will just wait for draft day and see what’s coming, because reading Chris Ballard’s mind, it’s a lot harder than people think

Last edited by JAFF; 04-18-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:15 PM

Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:

Was the other Max Crosby?
Old 04-18-2021, 05:29 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I understand the concern about not having a dominating pass rush. I think it is a huge overreaction. First I am pleased as shit at how this defense has progressed under this admin. We cannot be run over anymore. That is a huge relief. Nobody physically dominates us on a consistent basis. I love that. As for the pass rush I just didn't see any Deacon Jones' or Reggie Whites' out there. The guys people are pissed we didn't sign will, except in a few unpredictable cases, will be not be people that are keeping offensive minds stay awake at night with worry next year. And they all were overpayed. You give a guy 2 million more than he is worth and you don't have that to pay Carrie. Ballard likes to draft high ceiling guys that take a few years to develop. I am expecting some return on those draft choices this year. I am hopeful one or two will get a light turned on. I would rather root for that than hope a guy who some other team didn't want, that we paid big for, suddenly becomes our alpha dog.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (04-18-2021), Racehorse (04-18-2021), Spike (04-18-2021), TheMugwump (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 05:52 PM

There will be a bunch of guys released after the draft and at the 53 man cut down. Value guys. Wait until the start of the season until you run Ballard out of town.

The finished body of work is what you should be looking at. Not when work still needs to be done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-18-2021), Racehorse (04-18-2021), Spike (04-18-2021)