ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-04-2023, 06:45 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
WR). In Pittman and Downs, the Colts have two quality pieces at Wide Receiver, The third WR, Pierce remains something of a mystery largely because he has a Quarterback who A...isn't able to buy time enough for vertical passing routes to develop and B)...doesn't have the arm talent to task a Defense. The bottom line is that the team has no one who can stretch a Defense, get open deep, and make opposing Defensive Coordinators lose sleep, searching for ways to stop him. It's a major need, and one you'd hope to see Ballard address before the end of the draft.
This is somewhat contradictory. We don't know what the Colts have in Pierce because Minshew can't throw a deep ball, but also the Colts don't have anyone who can stretch the field deep? How can you declaritively state the second statement after the first? Wouldn't you need to at least question the capabilities of the WRs if you don't think it's an assessable thing due to limitations at the QB position?

I also have to disagree with your assessment that the Colts don't have anyone who can stretch the field deep. With the right QB, I think the Colts actually have 3 WRs who can stretch the field deep. Pierce has elite deep speed, and IMO Pittman and Downs have shown at least functional deep speed, as evidenced by long TDs by each that were mostly RAC yards. Then there's the other important part of the deep passing game: winning 50/50 balls. I believe both Pittman and Downs were at least top 5, and possibly each best in their draft class at contested catch rate, and it was also one of Pierce's most touted skillsets coming out of college, though it has yet to fully translate to the NFL for him.

WR is a position that could be upgraded for this team, Pierce could be improved upon, but the upgrade there, even by getting an elite player, would be marginal compared to a comparable upgrade at DE or CB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 08:41 PM

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
This is somewhat contradictory. We don't know what the Colts have in Pierce because Minshew can't throw a deep ball, but also the Colts don't have anyone who can stretch the field deep? How can you declaritively state the second statement after the first? Wouldn't you need to at least question the capabilities of the WRs if you don't think it's an assessable thing due to limitations at the QB position?

I also have to disagree with your assessment that the Colts don't have anyone who can stretch the field deep. With the right QB, I think the Colts actually have 3 WRs who can stretch the field deep. Pierce has elite deep speed, and IMO Pittman and Downs have shown at least functional deep speed, as evidenced by long TDs by each that were mostly RAC yards. Then there's the other important part of the deep passing game: winning 50/50 balls. I believe both Pittman and Downs were at least top 5, and possibly each best in their draft class at contested catch rate, and it was also one of Pierce's most touted skillsets coming out of college, though it has yet to fully translate to the NFL for him.

WR is a position that could be upgraded for this team, Pierce could be improved upon, but the upgrade there, even by getting an elite player, would be marginal compared to a comparable upgrade at DE or CB.
I think everyone here agrees with that sentiment. Yes, MHJ would be a nice addition, but that position is not as bad as pass rusher and CB.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:26 AM

As of halfway though the season, my off season dream plan would include:

- Re-sign Colts UFAs to starter level contracts: MPJ, Stwart, K Moore, Sanchez.

- Talk to Moss and offer a solid RB2 contact in the $5-6m a year range. If he takes it then great but at least it is a marker on the table before he explores free agency.

- Go all in on signing Chase Young. If achieved, D-Line is good to go.

- Continue to build solid depth across the team with decisions on offering contracts to more Colts UFAs: Pinter, Blackmon, Minshew, Tyquan Lewis, Isaiah McKenzie and Troy Brown.

- Draft BPA for the entire draft with emphasis on defense over offense.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:20 AM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
As of halfway though the season, my off season dream plan would include:

- Re-sign Colts UFAs to starter level contracts: MPJ, Stwart, K Moore, Sanchez.

- Talk to Moss and offer a solid RB2 contact in the $5-6m a year range. If he takes it then great but at least it is a marker on the table before he explores free agency.

- Go all in on signing Chase Young. If achieved, D-Line is good to go.

- Continue to build solid depth across the team with decisions on offering contracts to more Colts UFAs: Pinter, Blackmon, Minshew, Tyquan Lewis, Isaiah McKenzie and Troy Brown.

- Draft BPA for the entire draft with emphasis on defense over offense.
we just paid taylor. in no fucking scenario do we give a 5 mil a year contract to his backup. that is a stupid way to spend money
Old 11-05-2023, 11:54 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
we just paid taylor. in no fucking scenario do we give a 5 mil a year contract to his backup. that is a stupid way to spend money
Do we just let Moss walk? I think this is what we will do but if we really think we could be a playoff team I think it is a good use of money to pay him. Moss is more than a back up, even with JT on the team. Steichen should be able to scheme a way to get them both on the field so we have our best weapons available at all times. Otherwise it will be a draft choice and we have so many holes on defense....
Old 11-05-2023, 12:23 PM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Do we just let Moss walk? I think this is what we will do but if we really think we could be a playoff team I think it is a good use of money to pay him. Moss is more than a back up, even with JT on the team. Steichen should be able to scheme a way to get them both on the field so we have our best weapons available at all times. Otherwise it will be a draft choice and we have so many holes on defense....
fuck yeah you just let him walk. you don't tie up 20 mil a year to rb's.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I would draft a mid round replacement. Also have the northwestern kid coming back and he looked solid. Moss is making himself money and good for him. I think we got great mileage out of that trade.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:45 PM

Agree completely, this year it is nice having them both, but we can't afford to resign Moss to a contract commensurate to his performance this year. You can get quality RB's in the 3rd round and beyond who can be very good RB's, that's the main reason for the devaluation of the position to begin with, RB's are pretty much plug and play.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:56 PM

I would also say as much as Sanchez has been great, you can also find good punters fairly easily, and they should be saving some money there as well. But i am not going to be complaining if we did resign him, he has consistently performed at a relatively high level, without outkicking his coverage teams. Having a big leg is not the way to measure how good a punter is, distance and hangtime are the crucial elements of a quality punter, along with directional punting ability. In my experience as a teenager (many years ago) messing around with friends (in the UK, there were very few opportunities to play anything remotely organised back then), punting was something i just couldn't do well, i could kick field goals from 40 yards etc. I could punt it 30 or 40 yards sometimes, but rarely with any real knowledge of where it was actually going to go, mostly off the side of my foot!
Old 11-05-2023, 01:58 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,282 Times in 2,024 Posts

o

Looking at things with my EXTREMELY-SHADED royal-blue sunglasses, I have a feeling that Zack Moss will be a little less demanding than was Jonathan Taylor in his contract negotiations in the upcoming off-season ...... for no good reason, I sense that Moss is a little less conceited than Taylor, and that he also sees the larger picture of having a potentially all-time great backfield.

There have been 7 times in the history of the NFL in which teams had two 1,000-yard rushers, 5 of which consisted of 2 running backs (Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson were both quarterbacks that had 1,000-yard rushing seasons in which one of their running backs also broke that barrier.) Maybe ...... just, maybe ...... Jonathan Taylor and Zack Moss will wind up being the first duo ever to accomplish that rare feat in 2 separate seasons.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck