ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-01-2021, 11:24 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,139 Times in 646 Posts

We’re really sitting here analyzing a QB that ain’t gonna make the team??? (This Morton dude)

Goddam we can’t get a qb soon enough
Old 02-01-2021, 11:28 PM

I kinda like Kyle Trask. QB Mobility is over rated these days.
Peyton was not mobile but he did OK.
Brady was not mobile but he did OK.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:10 AM

Thanked 1,123 Times in 625 Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pat-mca...212141587.html

Where are we going forward,’ I asked. And [Ballard] said ‘we were very competitive’—his exact words. ‘We were very competitive with Stafford and the Rams threw a bomb,” McAfee said on his show of the conversation he had with Ballard. “‘Good for them’ he said basically. We couldn’t do that.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-02-2021), Racehorse (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckColt View Post
True, but the league is changing some. How many young QBs do you see that fit that mold?
Old 02-02-2021, 06:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
But they were not statues, either. I hate saying anything positive about Tom Brady. But he’s not a statue. He slides a little to the right he slides a little to the left you don’t get a really good clean hit on him.

Peyton was very much the same way. He wasn’t gonna run for a first down but he wouldn’t try that either. He would move side to side he would step up, and sometimes he would take a hit to deliver to Ball.

Kansas City quarterback Mahomes, he doesn’t run a lot down the field unless he has a great big opening and then he gets his ass out of bounds. He slides he move side to side really well looking for receivers.

Mahomes has learned that it’s better to evade rushers and get rid of the ball than and try to run up field and get his head knocked off.

Baltimore’s quarterback who’s name escapes me right now, once he takes off he’s a runner in the defense gonna line him up and blow him up. Also once he heads up field the d backs now become tacklers, they don’t have to play pass defense, they can just attack.

It’s to the advantage of the offense for a kid like Mahomes to extend plays and run those defense of backs to exhaustion. It is to the defenses advantage to make a quarterback break and then run up Field, where they can beat him up and now he’s exhausted. Once that quarterback goes across the line of scrimmage everybody knows there’s only one thing that can happen and that’s a run. Sure you give up some yards but in the long run You get a free shot on the quarterback and you wear him out. And now it’s harder for him to put his foot in the ground and then let loose with a pass downfield.

Football is a war of attrition it always has been. If your quarterback keeps giving up the advantage of making plays behind the line of scrimmage you put the defense in a much better position for an entire game.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
I think Trask is a bit overrated, especially having Kyle Pitts as his #1 receiver. We saw what he looked like against Oklahoma without Pitts. I'm not saying he doesn't have starter potential, but he's definitely a guy I'd want to sit and learn behind a veteran for at least a year.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
True, but the league is changing some. How many young QBs do you see that fit that mold?
True, the young QBs don't fit the pocket passer mold, but it's still early in their careers. If mobile QBs begin to break down like RBs after 5 to 7 years, teams will once again design their offense for pocket QBs that have a better shot at longevity. Brady is a freak on nature, but still, the QBs that last the longest are the QBs that didn't take a pounding running the ball. Let's see how long these young turks last before saying no way to a promising QB with little mobility but all the other tools.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:41 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
True, the young QBs don't fit the pocket passer mold, but it's still early in their careers. If mobile QBs begin to break down like RBs after 5 to 7 years, teams will once again design their offense for pocket QBs that have a better shot at longevity. Brady is a freak on nature, but still, the QBs that last the longest are the QBs that didn't take a pounding running the ball. Let's see how long these young turks last before saying no way to a promising QB with little mobility but all the other tools.
Smart scramblers will last longer, Wilson will last longer than Allen unless Allen tones it down. But until offensive lines become brick walls again, I don’t think we will go back. There have always been scramblers but it’s been increasing. The problem is that mobile QBs are the rage in high school and college and that is where your talent pool is coming from. Also OCs like it bc it still gives the play a chance to succeed. There will be exceptions, Burrow is the closest I can think of to a pocket passer.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Smart scramblers will last longer, Wilson will last longer than Allen unless Allen tones it down. But until offensive lines become brick walls again, I don’t think we will go back. There have always been scramblers but it’s been increasing. The problem is that mobile QBs are the rage in high school and college and that is where your talent pool is coming from. Also OCs like it bc it still gives the play a chance to succeed. There will be exceptions, Burrow is the closest I can think of to a pocket passer.
Burrow is an athletic pocket passer. A guy who is always going to look to throw the ball first and do everything in his power to make that happen, but if the play breaks down, can use his legs to make defenses pay. That's the new mold of NFL QB.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Burrow is an athletic pocket passer. A guy who is always going to look to throw the ball first and do everything in his power to make that happen, but if the play breaks down, can use his legs to make defenses pay. That's the new mold of NFL QB.
He’s not very athletic compared to his peers. And he prefers to stay in the pocket if he can. He moves around very well in the pocket.