ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-04-2021, 08:24 AM

Let’s remember the question isn’t whether or not the Titans will miss Henry. Everyone in their right mind knows they will. The question is was it necessary for Henry to be on a historic touches pace to instill fear in defenses? And was it the sole reason they were 6-2? I think the answer is demonstrably no.

Can we agree Henry was feared last year? Good. He averaged 5 less touches per game last year. This year he was averaging 1.1 yards less per carry than last year. He was averaging 0.6 yards less per carry this year than his career average. And with the 17 game season he was on pace to set a new record for touches. Oh and with Henry at 5 less touches per game last year do you want to guess what the Titans record was last year? Yep 6-2. So I see no evidence that being on a historic pace is the reason for the Titans success.

The threat of what Henry could do is what helped get the Titans to 6-2 both years. That threat was there whether or not Henry was getting 25 touches or 30. And I believe it would have been there at 20-22 as well. I don’t have the all22 and can’t find any stats but at the game it appeared to me the Titans feared Taylor and his 18 touches per game. The one thing that eliminates the fear of a great player is them not being on the field.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post

I will also go with I BELIEVE the Colts would have a better record with a coach that wasn't fascinated with going for it when he shouldn't, going for 2 pt conversions for NO REASON, and finally, seemingly obsessed with throwing the ball in situations where one of the league's very best running backs is standing on the sidelines watching instead of chewing clock.

Reich sucks
So Vrabel is a genius and Reich an idiot. I get it. The Colts have went for it 12 times this season on 4th down. The Titans 11. Clearly there is the obvious difference in the aggressiveness of the two coaches.

I’m curious if you complained about Reich going for it twice on 4th down on the first TD drive or just the one time it failed?

The Colts have attempted more two point conversions than Tenn but the difference is the Baltimore game (hurt kicker that missed his prior PAT) and SF with rain and 30 mph winds. You can certainly argue both (and since both failed I’m sure you will) but I believe both were reasonable. I actually believe one of the biggest criticisms of Reich is the 2pt conversion he didn’t attempt. That should have been the end of the Titans game. One play win or lose. The momentum swung big time on that TD. They should have capitalized.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 11:32 AM

Thanked 1,900 Times in 927 Posts

I thought Reich did an outstanding job of using Taylor last night. Establish him early and often and then build from there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-05-2021), Racehorse (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,141 Times in 647 Posts

Yea good game Reich and You made me eat my words on the shovel pass
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 12:26 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post

I thought Reich did an outstanding job of using Taylor last night ...... establish him early and often and then build from there.

o

Last night, Reich made a decision that I was OK with, BUT ONLY UNDER THOSE SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES ...... he went for it on 4th-and-goal from the opponent's 2-yardline. The Colts were up by a score of 28-10 AND they were playing a bad team that was using their 3rd-string quarterback.

If the Colts were in the same exact situation but against a better team with their 1st-string quarterback, I would have wanted Reich to choose a field goal attempt instead of going for it ...... and/or if the score was closer, then I also would have liked to see Reich choose a field goal attempt (even against a bad team.)

I would like to believe that Reich is in congruence with my thinking, and that he only went for it because of the extremely favorable circumstances. In the past, he made very questionable decisions against better teams with better quarterbacks ...... time will tell if Reich has learned from his mistakes and only went for it because of the extremely favorable conditions (an 18-point lead against a bad team with a 3rd-string quarterback), or if he would stubbornly do what he has done in the past.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 11-05-2021 at 01:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 12:48 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I thought Reich did an outstanding job of using Taylor last night. Establish him early and often and then build from there.
I thought he did a great job. It was a well called game and the players were all executing well. Hines has been neglected lately also. You have to find touches for him every game as well. No excuse especially with WRs down.

I would not have gone for that one 4th down, would have kicked a field goal. But that’s him and the jets weren’t going to rally in time.

That leads to my biggest criticism. I feel like his failed 4th down tries can supply the other team with momentum. And this defense seems to fall apart the more passing the other team does. Part of managing a game is also making sure to not supply the other team with a jumpstart if they are struggling. And that is something we don’t seem to control well. When you watch a practiced veteran coach like Belichick, he does all he can to make sure you have trouble digging out of a hole. Pin you back with punting, stifle you with smothering defense. We don’t do that especially with the cushion coverage in our prevent. We also let up too early in that game.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Yea good game Reich and You made me eat my words on the shovel pass
Just as long as A-a-ron Donald isn’t on the dline when you attempt it. I’m ok with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (11-05-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 02:17 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Last night, Reich made a decision that I was OK with, BUT ONLY UNDER THOSE SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES ...... he went for it on 4th-and-goal from the opponent's 2-yardline. The Colts were up by a score of 28-10 AND they were playing a bad team that was using their 3rd-string quarterback.

If the Colts were in the same exact situation but against a better team with their 1st-string quarterback, I would have wanted Reich to choose a field goal attempt instead of going for it ...... and/or if the score was closer, then I also would have liked to see Reich choose a field goal attempt (even against a bad team.)

I would like to believe that Reich is in congruence with my thinking, and that he only went for it because of the extremely favorable circumstances. In the past, he made very questionable decisions against better teams with better quarterbacks ...... time will tell if Reich has learned from his mistakes and only went for it because of the extremely favorable conditions (an 18-point lead against a bad team with a 3rd-string quarterback), or if he would stubbornly do what he has done in the past.

o
o

(vs. JAGUARS, 11/14)

On 4th and a long 2 from the opponents' 5 yardline in the 1st quarter of a scoreless game, Reich chose to kick the field goal ...... so, perhaps he is learning/evolving as his head coaching career progresses.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (11-14-2021), Spike (11-14-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 05:50 PM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

(vs. JAGUARS, 11/14)

On 4th and a long 2 from the opponents' 5 yardline in the 1st quarter of a scoreless game, Reich chose to kick the field goal ...... so, perhaps he is learning/evolving as his head coaching career progresses.

o
That was the right call instead of the usual Reich call.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,414 Posts

I am not sure I can watch next weeks game. I dont know how the colts pulled this out of their ass