ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2021, 03:20 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post

I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but have the Colts in Indinapolis (1984 - Present) really ever had a great coach ?? I know that people say Dungy was great, but only getting one championship while having Peyton Manning in his prime for 7 seasons tarnishes his legacy, in my opinion. I'd say they might have had a great coach for one season, but let Arians go when Chuck Pagano recovered.

When you compare Reich to the previous coaches with the Colts since they moved to Indy in March of 1984, he may be the second-best behind Dungy, and if he can win a couple of Super Bowls before he is replaced or retires, he might end up being the best !!! He does make some real bone-headed calls at times, but I think that he has more upside than downside !!! I like him, and I do believe that this team is poised to go to the next level over the next 5 years !!!

o

One of the first things that I think of about Dungy coaching the Colts was when he allowed Peyton Manning to overrule him in a playoff game ...... during the game.

In the 2005 divisional playoff loss to the Steelers, the Colts were down by a score of 21-3 with the 4th quarter about to start. Tony Dungy told the punt team to take the field. Realizing that that would have essentially been conceding the game, Manning defied Dungy and told the punt team to get the hell off of the field. Dungy simply raised his eyebrows, nodded his head in agreement, and said, "OK." The Colts went for it on 4th and 2, got the first down, and proceeded to score a touchdown on that drive to cut the lead to a manageable 21-10.

Dungy allowed one of his players to veto his decision in a nationally-televised playoff game with tens of millions of viewers watching ...... THAT is an example of being a great coach.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-30-2021)