ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-01-2021, 12:04 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
If you can find tape of it, look at Arizona State from 2019.

And remember, he's only 21, and the kid won the Outland Trophy at age 19! He only played two years of college ball, so yeah, he has some rough edges, but with NFL coaching, he's going to improve that technique.

Again, if you're right, then huge props. I am not betting on him to fail though.
Oh there's absolutely the possibility that he'll get coached up and flourish. I am by no means saying he will certainly be a bust, and all of his issues are technique based, meaning they're fixable. But, especially for what the Colts need, Sewell is not a good fit. The background you just gave me reminds me of Tremaine Edmunds. I watched his tape and saw a 34 thumper, didn't understand the hype. Then I saw the measureables and that he was 19, and he made sense as a Top 15 pick. Sewell may be the same, but considering the Colts immediate need at LT, I still would keep him ranked where he is for the Colts.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Colts Reportedly Sign Steelers Free Agent Safety Sean Davis to a One-Year Deal.
Colts And Orioles (04-01-2021), Oldcolt (04-01-2021), Racehorse (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 02:42 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

This is the first year I remember Ballard signing so many people to one year contracts. He is valuing experience in our backups. I wonder why this year is different than the others. Is it that there are just more players willing to take what he feels are appropriate contracts or this him thinking that the locker room is now ok and he can bring in a bunch of outside players? I find it interesting and am looking forward to seeing how this works out.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
This is the first year I remember Ballard signing so many people to one year contracts. He is valuing experience in our backups. I wonder why this year is different than the others. Is it that there are just more players willing to take what he feels are appropriate contracts or this him thinking that the locker room is now ok and he can bring in a bunch of outside players? I find it interesting and am looking forward to seeing how this works out.
We all believe he is targeting OT and DE in the in the 1st two rounds of the draft. Since this is a great year for offensive lineman, maybe he goes DE 1st and OL 2nd depending on who is available. He's building up depth which is never a bad thing.

The following video is pretty good. Big Dick Ballard's Master Plan. For those of you offended by curse words, don't watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I8OrVVybtI
Oldcolt (04-01-2021), smitty46953 (04-01-2021), TheMugwump (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
1 year contracts can benefit both parties. Play well, you can negotiate for better deal next year. Teams sign a guy to a multi year deal, and he busts, they are still on the hook for money on someone off the roster. I think it works for Ballard, he pays for production and doesnt hold a grudge if a player can get a better deal somewhere else.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:47 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

JAFF. I agree, however that has always been true and yet this has not been Ballards way until this year. It may just be the number and quality of players available this year makes this the best policy for both parties.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 05:53 PM

The one year deals are probably just as much on the part of the player/agent, if not more. The cap is going to grow by a lot next year (instead of shrink) and most of these guys would like to grab larger contracts next season. It’s a roll of the dice, but most are willing to take that chance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workhorse For This Useful Post:
JAFF (04-01-2021), Oldcolt (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 06:22 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workhorse View Post
The one year deals are probably just as much on the part of the player/agent, if not more. The cap is going to grow by a lot next year (instead of shrink) and most of these guys would like to grab larger contracts next season. It’s a roll of the dice, but most are willing to take that chance.
That makes sense. I didnt think about the cap next year
Old 04-01-2021, 09:34 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
I think part of the reason is because Ballard wants to have as much cap flexibility as possible for the Maniac's and Braden's extensions in 2022. The Colts will exercise Big Q's fifth year option and not long afterwards look to extend him as well.

Ballard reportedly made a similar offer to Autry that Denico eventually agreed to with Tennessee. The major difference - Ballard had no guaranteed money in 2022 whereas Tennessee guaranteed a portion of the money in the contract's second year.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:37 PM
Post whore

Colts sign Guard Chris Reed.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/4/...ard-chris-reed