View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I agree 100%.

Our offense was rounding into form over the 2nd half of the season. Really, all it needed was for the O-Line to gel and it appears that was happening. Hopefully, a new WR coach will bring the younger guys further so that they support T.Y. better and about the only player needed on the offensive side is a young RB to backup Gore.

However, on defense, it is pretty much a disaster. No LBs that I have confidence in except Walden and he might have priced himself out of us re-signing him with his double digit sack year (which will never happen again).

Our D-Line ended up not being the strength that I had hoped it would be although there were times that it played well. Our secondary has Vontae and perhaps Geathers as studs and a few other nice players in Robinson, Butler and Melvin but needs more work.

In my perfect world, however, 4 defensive free agents (D-Line, ILB, OLB, CB) to go along with 3 or 4 defensive rookies (first 3 rounds for sure and then either RB or defense in 4th round) would go a LONG way in upgrading the defensive side of the ball and make us a 10 win team again.

Think of this....

NE scored 51 offensive TDs, 27 FGs, 46 XPM and 1 2-point conversions on offense.

IND scored 45 offensive TDs, 27 FGs, 44 XPM and 2 2-point conversions on offense.

NE. = 435 offensive points scored (27.19 ppg)
IND = 399 offensive points scored (24.94 ppg)

3 points per game less scored on offense per game.....however...

NE. = 250 defensive points allowed (15.63 ppg)
IND = 392 defensive points allowed (24.50 ppg)

9 points more per game allowed on defense.

A one season defensive "Manhattan Project" with the RIGHT guys brought in could create a HUGE turnaround in 2017.

Perhaps, even enough to overcome some of Clappy McWoodChoppers' faults and tendencies to lose us games.

Cheers,
Perhaps