View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Yes, all usual disclaimers about not reading too much into it. Yep, I got it. Still, it’s the only thing we have as a good discussion point right now, and while you take it with a barrel of salt certainly there’s some truth strewn in.

Scattered thoughts:

-Ryan Grant being WR2 is somewhat notable. Cain is getting all the press out of camp but he’s still a rookie. Rogers is the returning guy but given that he’s never played with Luck nor in this new system he probably doesn’t have that much of a built-in advantage (throwing sessions at Stanford can only count for so much). Beyond that though, yeesh. Lots of guys we’ve never heard of.

-Marlon Mack already being RB1 is interesting. Yes, I know, Turbin suspension, but he’s RB2. Hines/Wilkins feel like they’re essentially interchangeable and I’m glad that it appears Michael isn’t getting any preferential vet treatment. Ferguson being last likely means he’s done, barring some insane preseason.

-Joe Haeg being RT3 seems a bit harsh. Not that he should start by any means, but I’d probably put him ahead of at least Le’Raven Clark.

-Kemoko Turay and Darius Leonard being starters is notable. Youth movement and no vet preferential treatment I get it (and like it, our incumbents suck) but it’s not like these guys were billed as plug and play starters. Still, it’s not like they’re blocking anyone, so I have no objections, just a bit surprised is all.

-Leonard/Walker/Goode as our starting LB’s...well, now you see why I was REALLY hoping we’d draft Roquan Smith.

-On the other hand, at least Antonio Morrison isn’t starting. That’s good news.

-I’m wondering if Quincy Wilson has managed to make his way into this coaching staff’s doghouse as well. He might be a bit of a diva, but he is talented and I hope this staff at least let’s him play and develop.

-Hooker/Geathers are rightfully the starters. Let’s get them healthy and let them stay as such. TJ Green is still way too high up the depth chart. I vow to keep an open mind with him this year with a new coaching staff, but much like Antonio Morrison and Josh Ferguson, I think it’d probably be best if he’s shown the door after this preseason, barring some insane preseason, of course.

-Hines being listed as both the KR/PR is interesting. I think they’re really intrigued by using him as a jack of all trades. I hope this coaching staff is creative in using him out of the slot and across formations. Mack/Hilton/Rogers are our only other return men? Welp, gone are the days of Grigson/Pagano wasting a roster spot on a Josh Cribbs or Quan Bray that does literally nothing well, now time to let someone on the roster handle it.
Grant is the clear #2. Ballard said that he and TY have definitely separated themselves from the other WRs