View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 PM

Yes, all usual disclaimers about not reading too much into it. Yep, I got it. Still, it’s the only thing we have as a good discussion point right now, and while you take it with a barrel of salt certainly there’s some truth strewn in.

Scattered thoughts:

-Ryan Grant being WR2 is somewhat notable. Cain is getting all the press out of camp but he’s still a rookie. Rogers is the returning guy but given that he’s never played with Luck nor in this new system he probably doesn’t have that much of a built-in advantage (throwing sessions at Stanford can only count for so much). Beyond that though, yeesh. Lots of guys we’ve never heard of.

-Marlon Mack already being RB1 is interesting. Yes, I know, Turbin suspension, but he’s RB2. Hines/Wilkins feel like they’re essentially interchangeable and I’m glad that it appears Michael isn’t getting any preferential vet treatment. Ferguson being last likely means he’s done, barring some insane preseason.

-Joe Haeg being RT3 seems a bit harsh. Not that he should start by any means, but I’d probably put him ahead of at least Le’Raven Clark.

-Kemoko Turay and Darius Leonard being starters is notable. Youth movement and no vet preferential treatment I get it (and like it, our incumbents suck) but it’s not like these guys were billed as plug and play starters. Still, it’s not like they’re blocking anyone, so I have no objections, just a bit surprised is all.

-Leonard/Walker/Goode as our starting LB’s...well, now you see why I was REALLY hoping we’d draft Roquan Smith.

-On the other hand, at least Antonio Morrison isn’t starting. That’s good news.

-I’m wondering if Quincy Wilson has managed to make his way into this coaching staff’s doghouse as well. He might be a bit of a diva, but he is talented and I hope this staff at least let’s him play and develop.

-Hooker/Geathers are rightfully the starters. Let’s get them healthy and let them stay as such. TJ Green is still way too high up the depth chart. I vow to keep an open mind with him this year with a new coaching staff, but much like Antonio Morrison and Josh Ferguson, I think it’d probably be best if he’s shown the door after this preseason, barring some insane preseason, of course.

-Hines being listed as both the KR/PR is interesting. I think they’re really intrigued by using him as a jack of all trades. I hope this coaching staff is creative in using him out of the slot and across formations. Mack/Hilton/Rogers are our only other return men? Welp, gone are the days of Grigson/Pagano wasting a roster spot on a Josh Cribbs or Quan Bray that does literally nothing well, now time to let someone on the roster handle it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-04-2018)