Thread: Desir
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Just because he hasn't played in as many NFL games as others doesn't mean he still doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. The guy has been in the league five years, practicing day in and day out. Regardless, I'm not sure that its really a question of how much wear and tear he's exposed to, but rather just the simple fact that the motor skills necessary to be an top CB are at their peak in a person's mid-to-late 20s.

All I'm saying is that I'd be extremely hesitant to sign guys to big guaranteed contracts who are in their late 20s/early 30s and who play positions that rely upon elite athleticism, since the window for those skills to remain at their peak is fairly short. So as much as I like Desir and how he's risen from nothing to become a good corner for us, its not good business to sign these guys to big guaranteed contracts. We've seen it over and over, but some teams (for example, the Raiders or Washington) never seem to learn. Those are contracts that make everyone happy when they're first signed, but the team and fans later grow to regret. If Desir had played the same but was only going to be 26, things would be different.

This is the same reason (among many others) that it wouldn't be a good idea to trade for Antonio Brown (age 31) or sign Le'veon Bell (though he'll be only 27 next year, RBs peak very early).
Your concerns about his age also limit the type of contract he can expect to get in UFA. He's likely looking at a 3 year deal, which if structured the right way would be like a 1 year deal with two option years. It's low risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-21-2019), sherck (02-21-2019)