View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 08:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,661 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
Exactly. And as for, "...conflicting medical advice being given out about the effectiveness of: masks use, social distancing...", masks and social distancing seem to be working quite well in many of the world's countries, let alone in NYC, where the virus was rampant at first, and is now in a much better place than much of the rest of the country.

Masks work. They aren't perfect, but anything that cuts down on transmission, even a little bit, is not to be argued against, at least not credibly.

Social distancing works. It's an airborne, transmittable virus. How any study could show that distancing doesn't slow transmission is...again, not credible.

As for finding studies that conclude different ways, sure. Science is a process, not a perfect answer. But you can't find peer-reviewed, credible studies that equally support both sides.

And kids transmit the disease. I am an elementary school teacher, have personal experience with this. Unfortunately.
I don’t understand how masks got politicized. They don’t protect the user 100% that well, but they protect everyone else from the user. If everyone wears them then we bring transmission down. If something is telling you different then it is someone with an agenda. Wear a mask, protect your neighbor.

As for the fear mongering. Covid is now the third largest killer in the US now, and doesn’t seem to be stopping. If people don’t take it seriously it will not go away. People don’t have to freak out, just don’t minimize it either. You could say the left leaning news is talking too much Covid, but the right leaning news talks about protests 90% of the time. And I watch both. My sister lives in Portland, lives downtown works in the city, and she says she hasn’t even seen any of the protests. But watching the news you would think the city is burning down. I think we have a tendency to sensationalize issues more than they are in general. But I really don’t care about graffiti on public buildings as much when compared to a pandemic that could kill me.

People just need to listen to the medical advice from the experts, not the president or infowars or that one YouTube poster who also thinks the world is flat. Take it seriously, listen to advice and take precautions. And we can then end this sooner and get back to football.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (08-12-2020), Colts And Orioles (08-12-2020), HoosierinFL (08-11-2020), Oldcolt (08-12-2020), omahacolt (08-11-2020), TheMugwump (08-12-2020)