View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 04:27 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
It's couldn't not could. Carry on.
[deep breath, here goes...] I disagree. While both are correct, but they mean slightly different things. In this context, apballin has used the proper context. Allow me to explain:

"I could care less about what you think of me..." means that the person wishes they cared less than they actually do, eg, if they truly could not care less, they likely would not care enough to type the phrase on a message board.

"I could not care less..." means simply that the person cannot care less than they do currently. This does not automatically mean that their level of care is zero. Oddly, if a person truly cared zero, then this phrase is actually an oxymoron, else you would not hear it. A person that chooses to vocalize that they care zero about something, obviously does not care zero, because they care enough to vocalize it. Thus they MUST care More than zero.

The second definition of this usage is more like an obligation. I care about the welfare of my children very deeply and I could not care less about that. Obviously this is also a correct usage.

Good God, I hope we play some football soon. Miss you fuckers.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."