View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 12:52 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post

Maybe they are poised for a turn-around. but I don't think that they are sandbagging. I don't think that players would do that. They are not going to waste a year of their careers on the potential to draft some rookies that may or may not work out. Too much work and effort goes into the season, and there's the possibility of injury, etc. The font-office may want that, but no there is no way that the players would do that for an entire season.

o

Correct.

In the 2011 season, Peyton Manning was out for the entire year with a neck injury. The Colts started the season at 0-13. They seemed well on their way to getting the #1 overall pick (the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes) when they won 2 games in a row, and went right down to the wire in the final game of the season ........ a game in which it would have cost them that 1st overall pick had they won it, as the St. Louis Rams also went 2-14 that season. In that final game against the Jaguars, I remember the Colts scoring a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to cut the deficit to 19-13, and then calling timeouts on defense to try to get the ball back when the Jaguars were trying to run out the clock.

What the Colts did in those final 3 games of that season (and especially what they were doing late in the 4th quarter of the season finale) was the antithesis of tanking.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (01-13-2022), Racehorse (01-13-2022)