View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 10:18 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalbert View Post

Gardner Minshew is an imposter. Can’t read a defense at all. On a few of those where he bolted and panicked he had 1 on 1 coverage down the field. On second thought he can’t throw it that far anyway. And yes I know the O line sucked, Q was getting blown up today. Tuff guy my azz.

o

Reading defenses often depends on an offensive line.

Ken Stabler was one of the greatest quarterbacks that I ever saw play ...... when he had what was arguably the greatest offensive line ever blocking for him (the Oakland Raiders of the 1970's), and he literally just stood there deciding whether to throw the ball to Fred Biletnikoff, Cliff Branch, or dump it off to Marv Hubbard or Pete Banaszak.

Peyton Manning was a freak of nature at reading defenses ...... but in the 2013 season Super Bowl against the Seahawks, the Legion-of-Doom was almost always in his face less than 2 seconds after the ball was snapped.

Overall, I think that Peyton Manning was a greater quarterback than was Dan Marino, but I must admit that Marino was a very rare breed of quarterback who could play effectively with a bad offensive line because of his super-quick release.

I actually agree with you that Gardner Minshew is an impersonator of a good quarterback ...... but today's game, with that offensive line blocking for him, was hardly an indictment of that theory. I believe that his consistently missing open targets throughout this entire season would be a more appropriate critique of his skill-set.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-24-2023 at 10:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-25-2023)