View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 10:46 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
Original question: Darnold or Wentz?

I would trade no more than a 2021 3rd round pick or 2022 2nd round pick for Darnold. While he could bomb here, his skill set is too good to not try and rebuild he career in a well run franchise in an offense with a strong O-Line and run game

Wentz? Not an option, IMO. Too expensive for the potential disaster he could be if he does not regain form.
Why is Wentz not an option, especially if he's cheap from a compensation to acquire perspective? If he costs a 3 or 4, as the most recent article on the Athletic suggests, the Colts would get him as a QB with a 4 year $98.4 million deal with $47.4 in guaranteed money, $25.4 of which comes off the books in the first year. To me, that makes Wentz a 1 year gamble. If he's good, you have your franchise QB for 3 years at well below market. If he's bad, June 1 designate him for an $11 million dead cap hit over 2 years and draft your franchise QB of the future. Either way you end up paying well below market for the QB position which allows for keeping the core of the team together much easier.