View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
So last year was already chalked up as a COMPLETELY wasted year? Why would that be? Can’t be because we kept Pagano - you think he’s a good coach. Yes Luck was hurt but that didn’t have any effect on Ballard’s ability to add talent thru the draft or free agency last year. So at best this is year 2 of a 3 year rebuild, not year 1 of a 2 year rebuild. Which means Ballard came into this with the idea of wasting 2-3 years of Lucks career in his prime, right?

Ultimately I agree - Ballard thinks it’s a long rebuild and is willing to sacrifice a few of Luck’s years in the process. I simply disagree. With a franchise QB in place their is no reason this team couldn’t be in playoff contention next year. That doesn’t require sacrificing your future. It requires overpaying a few pieces in free agency (that’s the nature of it) and building your scheme around the strengths of your players. Not cutting your best or second best defensive player because you don’t know how to use him. So yes this is more than likely a 3-4 year rebuild. But not because it was the only way. Or even the smart way. It’s a 3-4 year rebuild because Ballard decided it would be. And he’s making it be so.
Its not wasting luck, he needs time to build a good team. It is what it is.

Grigson tried to go for it quick when we had early success and that ultimately failed. Sure that was in large part due to inept coaching, but its still not a good strategy.

QBs are playing much longer into their careers. If ballard can build a sustained winner for a decade, then I will give him this upfront time to build that.

Last edited by rcubed; 03-20-2018 at 01:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (03-20-2018)