View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Meh, probably not a horrible signing. Nothing to get excited about certainly. It’s the lack of other moves that makes you roll your eyes at this. It’s the idea that after finishing 4-12 and entering free agency with over $70m to spend they somehow are even more talent deficient than they were 3 weeks ago. They’ve lost the best two performers off one of the worst defenses in the league and still failed to address the horrendous OL that has been getting their franchise QB killed for years.

I completely understand that the bulk of your talent needs to come from the draft, but Jesus fucking Christ when you are this talent deficient in so many key areas and have so much cap space you have to add a piece or two - even if you have to over pay a little. Every team has overplayed players and the cap has been steadily rising. And you sure as hell can’t afford to cut 26 yr old players that are performing above average for you. Is someone really going to tell me Ebron is going to help the Colts more the Hankins would have? If so I’m not buying it. And I don’t buy that he didn’t fit the scheme. But if he didn’t then change the damn scheme. Good coaches make the best use of their talent. the Colts are in no position to throw away talent for nothing.

Not signing any decent OL and cutting Hankins leaves this team screwed for next year. Now, as everyone seems to be hoping for, the Colts must spend significant draft capital on the OL or go in to next year with Luck being beat up again. So what gets neglected? The damn defense with its holes everywhere. And Luck will still be operating behind rookies and journeymen.

It appears Ballard has decided this is a 3-4 yr rebuild and we’ll just waste some prime Luck years. Is it really impossible to find a middle ground between signing washed up vets to win now and hanging your entire future on “stacking 2, 3, 4 drafts” in a row? God help us if Ballard has a bad draft - you have to stack them to win anything. Certainly can’t use free agency to bring in any pieces worth keeping.

Sorry, I obviously find Ballard’s approach completely stupid. It feels as if he is more concerned with getting a bargain than building a team. Hopefully after another 4th place AFC south finish he’ll understand that ultimately no one gives a damn if a few players are overpaid, it takes talent to win. A roster of “good” contracts doesn’t mean shit. But I guess I should be happy they signed someone. A pass catching TE with bad hands. But at least we are putting the money we saved from Hankins to good use.
Or, maybe, he recognizes this is year 1 of a process he feels will take at least 2 years and would like to save cap space for when he better knows what the holes that need to be filled are?