Thread: so Donald Trump
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
I dont think you do understand. My wife works for a big pharma company. She busted her ass to get a PhD so she could make medicines to help people. It takes on average 12-20 years do get a drug to market (depending on the complexity of the drug). There are hundreds to thousands of people that work to get that done and can cost billions (current average is $2.56B). A drug patent only last 20 years then other companies can make knock off generics, capitalizing on the work of others. So a company that invested a huge sum of money only has 20 years of exclusive rights to recoup that cost, after that their income from that drug plummets.

Also, hospitals administering the cancer medications are who is really charging you the money. They have to pay their doctors, nurses, staff etc. When someone gets cancer treatment they are paying into the medical infrastructure, not just for the drug.

Lastly remember that these companies and hospitals are not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. These are for profit entities in our capitalist society. They provide a product or service that requires highly specialized professionals from the basic research that starts off creating these drugs through the medical staff that administer them. If companies can't recoup their cost (and make a profit) they will go out of business. Who will make the next set of drugs that people need? Go over to some shit run state medical program if you have cancer and see if you are happier with their system (who by the way often use US created medication).

BTW, my wife has had cancer twice so not only is she working on developing these drugs, she has been on the receiving end of the whole process as well.
I appreciate that insight. I have no idea how the drug development works. I was painting with a very broad brush of speculation shaded with greed. However, why not approve a plant that has shown remarkable capabilities on the disease that people can literally grow in their yard? It doesn't make any sense that the government will throw you in jail for possession of it for years, but get drunk and kill someone and you're out in 6 months. The point being alcohol is way worse for you than weed. Now the kicker, I am defending a drug I don't use. The rewards far outweigh risk. But hey, it's the government they know whats best for us. Them in charge of everything, what could possibly go wrong?