View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Because it’s about the player, not the timing. That’s it. If they don’t believe anyone is worth going and getting then they don’t believe in them enough as franchise guys. A franchise QB is worth the cost to move to 4. If they can’t get it done because nobody wants to trade or someone else beats them to it then you don’t take what you can get - not at QB. You realize you are screwed and adjust. To me that means pushing draft capital to next year. You seem to be all about pushing salary to the future for future needs, why would draft picks be any different?

But it just comes down to the fact a QB is the single most important person in a franchise to its success. Yes, more important than the GM or the coach. You don’t settle on a guy because it’s a convenient year to pick them. You need to be absolutely in love with the guy - as a player, leader, and face of the franchise. If that has to wait, then you wait.

As far as what you do with Brissett it depends but you probably let him walk and sign a short term vet as the initial starter. I’m a big time believer in having a vet young guys can lean on and learn from. Especially a young QB. If you invest in a QB you need that vet to be someone that knows his primary role is as a mentor (and temp starter) not someone who is still trying to prove themselves. So that won’t be JB. And that’s another reason why I don’t like the idea of drafting someone and then doing it again if they don’t work. QB is the single position where I don’t believe competition is good. If everyone in the locker room doesn’t know and understand who the guy is, you don’t have one.
The problem with this thinking is that it essentially means the Colts shouldn’t take a QB unless it’s at the very top of the draft – anyone further down (say, mid-1st round or lower) is going to have question marks. But if the Colts can't trade up and aren’t bad enough next year to have a pick at the top of the draft, we’ll be in the exact same position (or maybe worse) but will have lost a year. Outside of the top of the 1st round, I think roughly the same QB opportunities will exist this year or next, so why wait?

So I think you take a QB this year, one that has some of the franchise qualities you’re looking for, and use 2020 to develop that player. Maybe it’s not even in the top three rounds – maybe someone even lower - but someone whose potential you believe will become clear in a year.