View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I just don’t think 5 is a likely option, and here’s why – what would make the Colts think that next year is going to be any better for us than this year? Why would that be any less risky than this year, when everything is already positioned properly? I don’t think we are going to be materially worse next year with Brissett, and when our players return from injury and the young guys have another year under their belt. And maybe we’ll be better, possibly even a playoff team as crazy as that might seem. So would we need to extend Brissett again to make sure the QB drafted next year doesn’t have to start right away?

Just reading the tea leaves like everyone else, but this year seems to be the year to draft a QB. And I’ll go further and say that may not be by accident.
Because it’s about the player, not the timing. That’s it. If they don’t believe anyone is worth going and getting then they don’t believe in them enough as franchise guys. A franchise QB is worth the cost to move to 4. If they can’t get it done because nobody wants to trade or someone else beats them to it then you don’t take what you can get - not at QB. You realize you are screwed and adjust. To me that means pushing draft capital to next year. You seem to be all about pushing salary to the future for future needs, why would draft picks be any different?

But it just comes down to the fact a QB is the single most important person in a franchise to its success. Yes, more important than the GM or the coach. You don’t settle on a guy because it’s a convenient year to pick them. You need to be absolutely in love with the guy - as a player, leader, and face of the franchise. If that has to wait, then you wait.

As far as what you do with Brissett it depends but you probably let him walk and sign a short term vet as the initial starter. I’m a big time believer in having a vet young guys can lean on and learn from. Especially a young QB. If you invest in a QB you need that vet to be someone that knows his primary role is as a mentor (and temp starter) not someone who is still trying to prove themselves. So that won’t be JB. And that’s another reason why I don’t like the idea of drafting someone and then doing it again if they don’t work. QB is the single position where I don’t believe competition is good. If everyone in the locker room doesn’t know and understand who the guy is, you don’t have one.

Last edited by rm1369; 01-10-2020 at 06:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (01-13-2020)