View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 10:19 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
What an opportunist! I did not know this could be done, but I guess it's something that can be done this year only due to COVID:

He seems hellbent on getting a ring this year, and it looks like he's got a good agent who's identifying loopholes. If the Pack loses, I guess he'll be moving on to KC next.

I believe Veldheer's postseason will end with the Packers. The reason why the Packers could sign him was because he was on the Colts practice squad and not the active roster. With the COVID-19 rules, teams can "elevate" extra players to the active roster for game days and carry more active players than the normal 53 man limit. Those elevated players revert back to the practice squad the day after the game. Teams can only elevate a player two times - if the Colts would have won the game vs the Bills, they would have likely needed to promote Veldheer to the 53 man roster because they had already elevated him twice - the only other "workaround" would be if someone on the 53 man roster was placed on the COVID-19 reserve list - then a practice squad player could be elevated as the designated replacement.

With the Packers poaching him off the Colts practice squad, Green Bay will need to place him on their active roster - not their practice squad - so this should disqualify him from signing with another team this postseason if/when Green Bay is eliminated.

He did play a few games for the Packers last season so he will already have some familiarity with them.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 01-12-2021 at 11:17 PM.