View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts
Default Colts Current Roster - Defense

Where do we sit right now and where do we need to get better? One man's opinion.

Defensive Tackle:

On Roster: Denico Autry, Tyquan Lewis, Hassan Ridgeway, Grover Stewart, DeShawn Williams

Impending Free Agents: Al Woods, Margus Hunt

Thoughts: I don't think we re-sign either Woods or Hunt; both are on the wrong side of 30 years old on a team still trying to get younger for the long haul. I think Autry, Lewis and Ridgeway are a solid roation but would love to get at least two more high end bodies for this position group; ONE from free agency and ONE from the draft. If Ridgeway ends up being our #5 DT in 2019, I think we are in pretty solid shape.

Defensive End:

On Roster: Jabaal Sheard, Kemoko Turray, Jihad Ward, Al-Quadin Muhammad,

Impending Free Agents: None.

Thoughts: Again, I like the four deep of Sheard, Turray, Ward and Muhammad well enough. They are SCREAMING for a top end starter over the top of them to demand the double team but as a whole, I don't hate how those four played in 2018. I again like the "ONE and ONE" scenario by adding a talented Free Agent DE AND drafting one in the first couple of rounds of the draft to make the position group stronger. A DE position group of: Veteran FA, Rookie, Sheard, Turray and then Ward / Muhammad fighting for spot #5 would put the position group in a good spot.

Linebacker:

On Roster: Darius Leonard, Anthony Wallker Jr, Matthew Adams, Zaire Franklin, Skai Moore, Anthony Winbush

Free Agents: Najee Goode

Thoughts: Not getting any better than Darius Leonard so WSLB is set for years. Walker was "fine" at MLB but there are a couple of veterans who might make it to market this year that I would be willing to sign to surplant him and move him to SSLB / depth. Depth is okay right now with Adams and Franklin so that is solid. I would love to add a top end veteran free agent to the group at MLB but if that guy does not happen, then I am fine running with whom we have as starters in Leonard / Walker / Adams (he was getting a lot more snaps at the end of the year than Franklin) but I would love to push Walker down to SSLB / depth with another high quality body at MLB.

Safety:

On Roster: Malik Hooker, George Odum, Ahmad Thomas, Rolan Milligan

Impending Free Agents: Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley (RFA), Mike Mitchell, J.J. Wilcox, Ronald Martin (ERFA), Corey Moore (RFA)

Thoughts: That is a whole LOT of impending free agent safeties for the Colts. I like Mike Mitchell but he is probably too old to re-sign. I also like both Geathers and Farley and would love to retain both of them. That would give us a returning three of Hooker, Geathers and Farley which is solid. For upgrade, I again like the "ONE and ONE" method of adding a talented veteran free agent and then adding a rookie from the draft. Let those five guys fight out who are starters and who are depth; I expect us to play a ton of "big 3" safety in this defense so we really end up playing a lot of bodies.

Cornerback:

On Roster:
Kenny Moore, Qunicy Wilson, Nate Hairston, Jalen Collins, D.J. Killings

Impending Free Agents: Pierre Desir, Chris Milton (RFA)

Thoughts: A top three CB of Moore, Desir and Wilson with depth of Milton and Hairston is not terrible. Moore is blooming into a starter and Desir put on a pretty fantastic audition for a good veteran contract. Hopefully, Wilson will continue to improve and become a full time starter in year 3. I would love to add another talented body to the group either in free agency or the draft but I don't know that I think we need any starters if Desir is re-signed. I would be happy in 2019 with Moore, Desir, Wilson and a talented ADD as our top four with Hairston and Milton as depth.

DEFENSE TO-DO LIST:

1. Sign Desir to a 3-year veteran contract as a borderline CB1 probably in the $7 - $9m a year range.

2. Sign Clayton Geathers to a 3-year veteran contract as a borderline starter (injury history impacted) in the depressed safety market can probably match Glowinski's contract of $6m a year.

3. Offer Mattias Farley an RFA tag with 2nd round compensation (around $3.1m)

4. Look for starting quality veteran free agents that fit the culture/age/skill matrix Ballard is looking for at DT (NT or 3-tech), DE, MLB, Safety, and CB. Sign as many as feasible.

5. Depending on work done in step 4, target drafting in the top four rounds of the draft: DT, DE, Safety, CB.

Hope for year two improvements from the players as they get more comfortable with the scheme and hopefully the Colts will have a defense that can hold its end of the bargin up by being top half of league. With a high powered offense, that should be good enough.

If the defense becomes a top ten strength? Even better.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-04-2019), smitty46953 (02-04-2019), Spike (02-04-2019)