View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 08:48 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,598 Times in 2,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I have no doubt that PFF is trying their best to get it right, but this boils down to the problem I've always had with them: the subjectivity in their analysis in my opinion creates odd results, like the year they had Ben Hartsock as the #1 TE in the NFL. Statistics are useful analysis tools, but they should never lead us to conclusions that are not in line with the results we see on the field. That's not to say I expect zero variance in the results. For example, I could see a statistical analysis determining that the Chiefs, Ravens, or Steelers are the best team in the AFC, but I would immediately dismiss one that said the Jets were the best team in the AFC. PFF's methodology would typically produce the former result, but has the capability built in it to produce the latter.
I can’t attest to their other models, I don’t know how the other ones work. Like any agency I’m sure they get stuff wrong. I believe the Hartsock thing was bc they were rating him the best blocking TE in the league and his grade was so high it was pushing him to the top despite the other average areas. At least that’s what they said, not that he was the best receiving TE in the league as well. I’m not going to defend everything they do, just so far I agree with the results in this particular QB model.