View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 12:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,607 Times in 2,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Not a big fan of PFF, and this yet again feels like it relies too much on subjectivity. They're assuming they know the route every time, and while a trained eye will get that right most of the time, it's not going to be right every time and therefore skewing is going to happen. I also believe PFF tends to let their biases creep in because most of their analysis is subjective.

One example where I think this grading system could get it wrong: There was a play in a game I watched where Lance had a TE running upfield. This TE was NFL open, he had a defender closing but they had their back turned to the QB and were on the TE's inside shoulder. An NFL throw is needed, and Lance makes what is in my opinion the perfect throw: he throws high to the TE's outside shoulder, putting the ball in a position where only his receiver can get it. The ball hits off the TE's hands. To me, PFF would grade that as a "high" throw or maybe even an "overthrow", because the TE had to go up for it and it was high and to the outside of the receiver. But based on the play and what was happening, it was the perfect throw, as it gave the defender no chance at an INT and would've been an easy first down had the TE caught a ball that hit his hands.
Perhaps, I tend to pick and choose what I like about pff. But judging ball placement isn’t all that hard. I’m sure they take placement into consideration when coverage is present. In fact I know they do because Burrow often had to put it in a position where only his WR could get it and that was not in that strike zone, and he had a great accuracy rating. Early in Peyton’s career he started throwing balls low just so there was little chance of int and to cut his int’s down. There was little chance of Yac with those throws but I knew he was doing it intentionally.

I’ve see Lance throw outs with great strength and precision. The problem is that he doesn’t do that consistently. Those issues can be fixed, we have seen Josh Allen and the Ravens QB improve. But if given a preference I would like to start with a guy with high accuracy. He does have a hitch in his delivery and it draws it out. He will need to fix that in the pros. His running will be an asset as long as he protects himself. But as we have seen with Andrew and Cam Newton, no matter how big you are taking hits will knock you out of the game. Be like Russel Wilson, not Cam Newton.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 10-22-2020 at 03:28 PM.