View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
So Lance will be pretty dependent on his pro day and combine. But he is such an athlete that those should be in his favor.

But my concern is his accuracy and I’m going off the pff metric explained here: QB accuracy metric explained. I think it is a better evaluation tool than just attempts / completions which really doesn’t tell the whole story. Using that metric his completion is 50% which doesn’t project well to the NFL where you need to be very accurate. Burrow last year posted the highest accuracy rating they have had since they started using this, which is partly why I was so bullish on him. Then the one game he played this season he was only at 28% which wasn’t the best debut. I don’t like using one game as a measure but it’s all we have to go on.

He certainly has the arm strength and his running will be a definite asset. Defenses have a lot of trouble with QBs of his type. But I wanted 60% accuracy from him, that is usually the break point. And I just haven’t seen it yet.
Not a big fan of PFF, and this yet again feels like it relies too much on subjectivity. They're assuming they know the route every time, and while a trained eye will get that right most of the time, it's not going to be right every time and therefore skewing is going to happen. I also believe PFF tends to let their biases creep in because most of their analysis is subjective.

One example where I think this grading system could get it wrong: There was a play in a game I watched where Lance had a TE running upfield. This TE was NFL open, he had a defender closing but they had their back turned to the QB and were on the TE's inside shoulder. An NFL throw is needed, and Lance makes what is in my opinion the perfect throw: he throws high to the TE's outside shoulder, putting the ball in a position where only his receiver can get it. The ball hits off the TE's hands. To me, PFF would grade that as a "high" throw or maybe even an "overthrow", because the TE had to go up for it and it was high and to the outside of the receiver. But based on the play and what was happening, it was the perfect throw, as it gave the defender no chance at an INT and would've been an easy first down had the TE caught a ball that hit his hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (10-22-2020)