View Single Post
Old 12-12-2022, 08:55 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
When did the bye week in mid December crap start? It has to be a recent thing right?

I honestly can't comprehend why there are bye weeks in weeks other than Week 8 and Week 9. In one week the AFC should take a week off, and then the NFC should take a week off. Bam, every team gets a bye week and it's all nearly right in the middle of the season. Make it so games are divisional games, just like in week 18 for those weeks. There would still be 8 games so enough that Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, and two games a piece for Fox and CBS on Sunday (in reality they would 3/2 games that day).

There was another suggestion I kind of liked as well that someone made, though I can see others having an issue with it. Have an 18 game season, no bye weeks, but a player can play a max of 16 games a season.
Couple of thoughts:

Its what the other leagues do. They have their All star stuff during the break. Obviously no all star game, but its going to disappear any way.

Your suggestion is completely fair. Having a bye week in the third week is silly. Having a bye right now is a huge advantage to rest and possibly have extra time to heal up.

I would add a balanced schedule, a team would play all of its three division opponents before the break and then play the remaining games after the break. Half before and half after.