View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I agree.

It appears to me that the "deepest" areas of free agency are in both secondary positions (CB and Safety), ILB and 5-Tech DE. I think there is a better change of some true NFL starters making it to the open market at those positions.

There are only two 0-Tech NT that might be available but they are pretty easy to re-sign if their home team desires and I think the OLB class will be very thin and will be hotly chased after.

If we could come out of free agency with a new starter at ILB, D-Line (0 or 5 Tech) and a secondary slot (sliding either Robinson to CB3 or else Green to Safety3), then we could use the draft to concentrate on OLB (3 picks in top five picks) and then at least use 1 of the other 2 top picks on Def Front-7 or possible RB.

Getting a Comp 4th round pick for Fleener (not confirmed but the calculations say that is what should happen) will be pretty brilliant for Ballard in his first draft class as GM.

Cheers,
I think the only position where I'd be furious if they spent major capital on would be WR/TE (okay, leaving aside K/P). We've invested plenty in those positions and gotten back okay returns. Still a failure on Grigson's part, but neither position is a trainwreck, very much unlike our other positions.

I'm already on record that if the Colts drafted Cam Robinson in Round 1, that I wouldn't lose my mind. I'd prefer to go defense certainly, but he'd instantly be an upgrade at RT, and we'd at that point have invested Dallas Cowboys-level amount in our OL, so I'd at least expect a fairly formidable wall.

If they went Dalvin Cook, I'll add with the qualifier, as long as they sign several guys in free agency, then fine. I don't think they will, Ballard seems like his focus will be upgrading the defense, but he is getting Mocked to us in seemingly every Mock Draft, so who knows. That said, I do absolutely believe that Dalvin Cook will be something truly special in the NFL and he'd REALLY open things up in our offense to do some truly incredible things. I do prefer defense, though.

What I WANT though is substantial investment in ILB/OLB. It looks like the guys will be there in the Draft and free agency. BUT like I said, if the Colts decide they think they can exploit a market inefficiency and become wonderful at any one position (besides WR/TE), then fine.