View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I feel sorry for Lamey but believe his 'retirement' was justified. Lamey is a visible representative of this organization. He apparently told a joke where the punch line included the n word. Zero tolerance for a public organization like the Colts makes perfect sense. Among many people, in 2018, it is morally unacceptable for people to tell jokes that contain the n word. It doesn't brand Lamey as a racist or erase his decades of good work. But actions have consequences attached to them. For all involved those consequences were truly unfortunate.
In a way, it does erase his good work. There will be no send off for him. There will be no Chick Hearn or Vin Scully-style tributes to him in the stadium. Colts content will likely no longer use his voice for historic Colts-related moments since that can be seen as being tolerant or giving leeway to those who no longer deserve mention.

I think there was a way to uphold Emmis' zero tolerance toward Bob Lamey, Emmis employee, while allowing Colts fans to still have Bob Lamey #1 Colts fan. Had this been kept in-house, he could have been removed from his position of play-by-play voice of the Colts and no longer employed by Emmis under the general reasoning being that "it was time". He could then have been an unpaid guest of the Colts pre-game show as Bob Lamey, #1 Colts Fan, where fans still get all of the sunshine and homerism from the former voice of the Colts. By burning it all to the ground with the way it went, there is no chance for any of that happening. I think that would have been a fair way to thank him for his many years of service. Had it been Jethro in accounting, sure, fire his arse with no second thought. I think Bob deserved a bit of decorum for his dismissal.

Last edited by Colt Classic; 08-22-2018 at 05:28 PM.