View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 01:07 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
This is basically the approach that I would have preferred Ballard have taken last year - shore up the talent level with mid tier veteran free agents and let them compete with the young talent you begin adding through the draft. It was also the approach Grigson took that got the team in an AFCCG much, much sooner than anyone thought. And that was while he completely sucked as a talent evaluator. I know several will say "see Grigson did it and it obviously failed", but it wasn't the method that failed, it was Grigson's execution. If you can't evaluate talent you are going to fail no matter which path you take.
Yeah I know. The problem with Grigson was his drafting and terrible moves not the strategy. He built the team in a strange way. He idolized Johnson’s Dallas line and wanted to construct it with low picks. That is harder to do now because of the practice rule changes. He also had a 3-4 defense and didn’t invest in the linebackers. That is the heart of a 3-4, they are your playmakers. You need a talented Mike and a talented rusher, a good Sam is nice also. But he went bargain bin hunting for the positions. You can’t ignore the position group your strategy is centered on. It was maddening.

Then when his crappy drafts started snowballing he kept going back to the FA bin. But he wanted the old vets and got s bunch of 30+ guys. It’s ok to have some Davy vets, but you need to surround them with some speed and youth. Anyway he sucked.