View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJColtsFan View Post

After all these years, the narrative is still misunderstood. Baltimore Colts fans didn’t control whether their team stayed or moved. Baltimore Colts fans didn’t just reside in Baltimore, they were Marylanders (eastern and western shore), Delawareans, Pennsylvanians, etc. They loved their team. When the move occurred, hearts were broken. Some of us continued to follow the team and others couldn’t forgive and forget. For those of who remained a fan throughout, all Colts history is important, not just the Baltimore era or Indy era.

o

This is what our beloved Peyton Manning had to say about wearing the same uniform as Johnny Unitas.

"I make no comparison to him. I hold him in such regard that it's an honor to wear the same uniform. The fact that my number is one below his, and the fact that I wear the same horseshoe helmet inspires me. He as the ultimate field general. He called his own plays, and was in complete control out there. He was aggressive, and utterly fearless. He was convinced that if you did things right and had worked on them, it didn't matter what the situation was. I asked him about the Jim Mutscheller play from the 1958 championship game. He said,. 'If it's there and and you execute it, it's the right call.' I have the same mentality. I make a lot of my own calls, As my offensive coordinator Tom Moore says, 'No guts, no blue chips.' If you call a play you believe in, what does it matter if it's 1st and 10 on the opening drive of the 2nd half, or if it's 4th and 5 with 30 seconds to go? If this is the play you believe in, this is the play you call. You make it work. That's Unitas."

https://books.google.com/books?id=8E...Unitas&f=false

Also from Peyton Manning:

I still look to Baltimore for our history. That is why it was always such a big deal when we visited the Ravens, because Johnny U would be on the sideline. I always made a point of going over to him. He told me that he liked the way that I [played the game. I consider that the ultimate compliment."

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-15-2018 at 08:45 PM.