View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 02:12 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default How Colts Prepare for Pass Protection

This is a great read from Holder. It's behind a paywall, but I'll summarize a few key bullets.

https://theathletic.com/611587/2018/...-luck-upright/

-Assistant QB coach Marcus Brady starts breaking down the different pressures from next week's opponent 10 days in advance.
-Monday before game: Brady adds anything new from opponent's Sunday tape.
-Tuesday: Brady presents analysis to offensive coaching staff.
-Wednesday/Thursday: Coaching staff meets with QBs, all OL, all RBs to breakdown the types of pressures expected from opponent. This is called their weekly SOP (standard operating procedure) meeting.

Of that SOP meeting, Matt Slausen says:

Quote:
“That is not typical in my experience,” he said of the SOP meeting. “There would (usually) be a meeting with the centers and the quarterbacks and that would be relayed to the rest of the blocking unit in a different meeting. Now, doing it all together – which I think is great – is allowing us all to communicate when we’re having the meeting. And it’s also allowing everyone to listen to the process of how we come up with this.
At the end of the day, it appears to be working.

Quote:
The Colts have allowed quarterback pressure on 21.4 percent of their dropbacks. That is, by far, the lowest number of Luck’s seven-year career. The Colts have never registered a percentage lower than 32.5 (in 2016) since Luck’s arrival. The number has been as high as 36.8 (in 2012).

“It’s something we put a lot of time and effort into and it’s paying dividends,” Reich said. “I mean, it’s a tangible area of improvement that we are seeing in spite of all the rotation and injury we’ve had up front.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Brylok (10-27-2018), Colts And Orioles (11-20-2018), sherck (10-25-2018), TheMugwump (11-20-2018)