View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts
Default Colts defensive backs, coverage discussion

I'm not the best with diagnosing defensive back play in real-time. Hoping some of you here are and can answer some questions.

My impression is that under Eberflus our corners appear to play a mix of zone and man, though I don't know yet what general percentages there are of each, what situations call for which type, etc. I'd say generally it seems like more press man than in the Manning years, but less than under Pagano, especially '14 and '15. So far I would not call this a Tampa 2 or primarily Cover 2 defense, am I right?

How are we using our safeties? I am a little disappointed in Hooker's lack of production. I know, it's only 2 games. Are both safeties playing pretty deep? Is Geathers playing up closer to midfield? Are these guys in position to succeed? What are their jobs in this defense?

I am seeing a lot of slapping and clawing at the ball, but not as many defended passes. True? With the DL and Leonard getting pressure and making plays up front and in the middle of the field it seems like there should be opportunities for the DBs to make some plays on the ball this year.