View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 09:17 PM

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,166 Posts

Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated wrote a column about the 49er's off season including the decision to trade Buckner.

You can read the entire article via the link and I have excerpted a few quotes below:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/04/jo..._medium=social

Quote:
The Niners had kept Armstead and Buckner, their 2015 and ’16 first-round picks, together for as long as they were able to. A cap crunch loomed, as more big deals had to be accounted for on the horizon, for young stars like George Kittle and Bosa. Armstead had just played out the fifth-year option on a rookie deal, while Buckner was reaching his.

“We knew the Buckner domino was going to be the big one,” Lynch said.
Quote:
Segal (Buckner's agent) told the Niners’ brass that the average per year on any new deal would have to start with a “2.” Soon, it was agreed that the Niners wouldn’t be able to meet Buckner’s ask.
Quote:
Lynch: "We looked at every different way it could work. Our motivation certainly wasn’t getting rid of Buckner, because he’s one of our best players, and one of our best people. He embodies 49er way.”
Quote:
Lynch told Segal, "Buck’s earned it, so if you believe you can get that number, go get it. But you better bring back a first-round pick." With permission to seek a deal granted, Segal found Buckner’s money, and Lynch’s pick, faster than anyone anticipated.

“Not only did he bring back a first-round pick, he brought back the 13th pick,” Lynch said. “And then, it’s like, ‘Whoa, I didn’t think he’d do that.’ By that point, you start looking at how we can keep our team together. And I guess a long story short, it’s not something we wanted to do, but at a certain point, we felt like that was the best decision.”
Quote:
Lynch: "So when you profess to guys, Hey, you do the things we ask, we’re gonna take care of you, and then a guy like DeForest does everything, and you can’t take care of him, that’s difficult."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (05-11-2020), apballin (05-09-2020), Ironshaft (05-11-2020), Oldcolt (05-10-2020), smitty46953 (05-09-2020)