View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

A bit of a puff piece about the O-Line during OTAs but the one thing that stood out to me is that Philbin is pleased. Located here.

Take it for what it is worth but I was impressed by his coaching last season and hope that year 2 of the system works even more efficiently. O-linemen in camp:

7th year = Anthony Castonzo (still looks skinny in photo)

5th year = Brian Schwenke

4th year = Jack Mewhort

3rd year = Denzelle Good

2nd year = Ryan Kelly, Joe Haeg, Le'Raven Clark, Cooper Fahn, Blake Muir, Jeremy Vujnovich, Adam Redmond

1st year = Zach Banner, Deyshawn Bond, Jerry Ugokwe, Andrew Wylie

Bond Draft Profile: "Four-year starter with a combination of core strength and foot quickness that lends itself to success on the interior. Smaller than desired with below average length and that could hurt his draft stock, but he's a plus in pass protection and decent in run blocking and could become an eventual starter with time."

Ugokwe Draft Profile: "Didn't pick up the sport until his junior year of high school but has shown rapid growth over the last three years. While there is a lack of consistency in his technique at this time, he has the traits and potential that should provide offensive line coaches with enough ammo to correct his issues. If he can play with more consistent bend and a wider base, he has interesting developmental potential, but he will likely require a patient approach."

Here is an article on Andrew Wylie. HUGE jump in competition from Eastern Michigan.....however:
Quote:
“I’m not going to lie to you, I was pretty surprised I didn’t get a Combine invite,” he said. “I did know it was going to be a long shot, being an offensive lineman from the MAC. I really wanted that Combine invite because my numbers, I would have been first place in a lot of different categories for offensive linemen. I thought that would help me out. But still got overlooked a little bit.”

His numbers are impressive. Wylie’s 34-inch vertical would have ranked first for O-linemen at the Combine by two full inches. His 9-foot-7-inch broad jump would have tied for first. His 4.5-second 20-yard shuttle would have ranked second, along with a 7.3-second three-cone time.
44 game starter in college with impressive athleticism. I am keeping an eye out for him.

Interesting tidbit; only two folks have ever come out of his small, rural high school and been on an NFL team roster. Andrew Wylie.......and Howard Mudd.

I like the precedence. I am pulling for this kid.

Cheers,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Pez (05-18-2017), Spike (05-22-2017)