View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I like how the Giants have done it recently, honestly. Mostly build through the draft. Mostly re-sign their own or ignore free agency. But if a year comes up when Snacks Harrison, Janoris Jenkins and Olivier Vernon are available ... yes, you go look at those guys and make some moves.
You are right that is a great way to do it. Trouble with the Colts is that the draft from 2-3 yrs ago has been poor.

2013. Produced nothing
2014. Mewhort and Moncreif. And a couple backup UDFA's Kerr and Harrison
2015. Andersen, Geathers, Parry, Dorsett
2016. Has IMO turned out to be a pretty good draft so far.

I think you need to draft players that will be reaching close to their potential or expectations by year 3. Then every year you have the next class stepping up.

But because of the poor drafts it may take a yr or two of bringing in FA's to fill gaps for the next 2-4 yrs as the new guys get up to speed. Then when we have consistently decent draft classes we can resign our own, and build 99% through the draft and UDFA's

When I look back at the last few years I have to believe we are still in rebuild mode and will probably be there for 1-2 more years (when the 2015 draft class matures) unless we can find some FA's this yr even if they are 1-2 yr stop gaps.

JMO

Pete