View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 06:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I think this is shifting. Although athletic QBs are nothing new. Teams are not forcing them into the old conventional pro-schemes now. Also I think QBs just have more training and experience than they used to. The 10,000 hour rule starts to apply. I also suspect Madden has an influence which is essentially a football simulator, at least with retention and play memorization. But teams are getting QBs that can extend the play, not necessarily a Lamar Jackson, but a Mahomes, Wentz, Wilson, Luck type that can leave the pocket and break down a defense. The pocket passer won’t die, and trend always shift in the NFL. But right now I think teams want a guy who can scramble. And just because he can scramble doesn’t mean he isn’t cerebral.
Did you read the article about Mahomes and what his dad taught him? It’s about the next pitch. Major-league pitcher must have a short memory in order to pitch to the next guy. The same is true for an NFL quarterback who needs to go throw the next pass.

The ability to leave bad plays behind you and not dwell on great play that you make is the most important quality of a quarterback.

The next play is the most important play. Whatever happens is in the rearview mirror and you move on good or bad.