View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
That’s the thing, he has gone after free agents. Ballard inquired about Robinson but he wasn’t interested. He went after Norwell, got outbid. He also wanted Calais Campbell, he wanted to go to the jags. He wanted AJ Bouye, not interested. Ballard has been selective about who he has pursued, and he has tried the best FA’s out there. I think he does have a price in his head and won’t get into a bidding war for a guy.

What Ballard doesn’t want is to sign mediocre players for big money. He wants to build a base core through the draft and let them define the culture of the team. He doesn’t want a problem child, he doesn’t want negative locker room presences. I’m ok with this. We need talent at core positions. Probably since 2008-09 this team has overly relied on QB play. Too much bad drafting. I’m hoping that is about to change.

Once we got some talent on this team I can see him getting a FA or two. I want super bowls, I don’t want a decade of good not great like the Pacers. And I feel like getting some FA’s now just makes us decent so we are picking in the middle of the draft.
Like Omaha and GBB, I don't recall hearing or reading that the Colts were going after many of the people you mentioned other than Norwall. Norwall was a significant, high priced free agent though, so I suppose its may seem a bit inconsistent with the idea that he would wait before adding big name free agents. What I'd say in response is (1) while Norwall was a high priced free agent, he's not really the type of splashy free agent that I think the Colts were trying to avoid, and (2) I think the "culture" on the offensive side of the ball is a lot more mature than on the defense.

So if my read is correct, Ballard would be much more likely to bring in a high end offensive free agent than a high end defensive free agent. That being said, I still can't see a malcontent like Le'veon Bell being appealing to the Colts.