View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 09:27 AM

Thanked 1,292 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
When would the best time be?

He rehabbed all off season through preseason and he wasnt getting better. Should he stay, play like crap or stay and take up a roster spot, and not play all season because he couldnt?

He was an athlete his whole life and now he wasnt. He couldnt be what he had been.

My career is in my head, and short of some unforeseen event, I’ll get to retirement. I will have 36 years in my profession. A long time. Luck played 6 years missing one year due to injury. A lifetime for some in football. I never faced losing my job due to physical injury. He faced it every game. In his 30’s he is forced out of something he loves, and now must reinvent himself.

Its a game. A violent, brutal game. Would people prefer he went out like Junior Seau?
A big reason that fans are still frustrated with Luck's decision is that we don't know how severe of an injury he actually had. Luck's entitled to his privacy, but not announcing what his injury actually was when he retired left things a mystery. If he truly only had a mild calf strain and retired over a high ankle sprain, then he played the Colts to get his $12M roster bonus and deserves the criticism. If he had something much more severe like say a partially torn achilles, where the thought/hope was that it would heal over the offseason through rest and rehab but didn't and would require season ending surgery and a ~year's worth of rehab, then the timing is much more understandable.

Another frustrating thing is the irony that the OL allowed the fewest sacks in the league and Luck was hit the fewest times in his career during his final year. He finally had a good OL and a competent FO and coaching staff that would make sure he had the protection he should have had all along.....

Anyway, it's water under the bridge. Just sucks that the team is stuck in QB purgatory.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Brylok (10-18-2020)