Thread: Gerald McCoy
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Since this thread is about McCoy...

1. I don't think anyone is saying that McCoy is not a good player.
2. I don't think anyone is saying that McCoy would not improve our front seven.
3. I don't think anyone would be upset if we had signed McCoy.

That said, the issues are as follows:

1. Do we think McCoy would be the piece that wins us the SB? I don't think he is.
2. Will we be contenders without McCoy? Possibly, but the NFL is hard to predict. I think we will have about the same record without McCoy that we would have had with him, but that is just me.
3. Will we need to spend the cap dollars on someone anyway? This is where the water gets murky. Maybe Sherck can tell us where we are as it relates to the cap floor, but I think we are right at it and can get close with tweaking current contracts. As to the penalty for not hitting the floor, it is merely paying the difference to the players association. Maybe we have to pay $5M, but that is just a guess and we may actually be at the average now. Ballard knows, but I cannot recall him explaining it besides being cryptic about it.
4. Will our younger DLine guys develop? One can hope, but we cannot tell now, and signing McCoy would delay that development. This is why I am okay with missing out on him, despite thinking he would be a good fit initially.
5. I know I am missing a key issue, so fill it in here, lol.
1. I don’t think McCoy himself puts the Colts over the top, but the same thing is said for almost every single player available to the Colts. Looking at it in isolation it’s easy to justify. But what’s the point of signing Houston then? He didn’t put the team over the top. He addresses a need and makes the team better. I’d argue McCoy would have done the same. Couple those two with doing a little more in free agency overall (not breaking the bank) and yes I believe the Colts could have been a potential SB team. With some luck maybe they are anyway, in which case McCoy would be an even bigger missed opportunity.

2. I’d agree he wouldn’t significantly change their record, but I’d rather have McCoy on the roster when it comes playoff time. That to me is when he’d likely pay dividends.

3. The cap floor is irrelevant to me. Ballard will handle it.

4. Everyone assumes a vet will delay player development. I don’t necessarily believe that - especially on the DL where guys rotate more. There McCoy replaces the worst option. He may take a starting role over someone, but they’d still get snaps. Plus I see value in competition and learning tips and tricks from guys that have seen it and done it. I know many on here don’t seem to agree though.

5. My only other thought is that it likely comes down to where you believe the team is. When will a realistic title window open? I’ve taken a lot of flak from Chaka and a few others for saying Ballard’s method will be a 3-4 year rebuild and that it could have been done quicker. If you think the window is open now then I can’t understand how you would justify passing on McCoy. If you don’t think they are quite there yet fine, passing on McCoy is understandable. But don’t tell me it’s not a 3-4 yr rebuild and say the window isn’t open yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (06-13-2019), Colt Classic (06-12-2019)