View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
By far the biggest issue imo was dropped passes. It has been a problem for long enough that one wonders whether it’s a result of poor coaching or more likely a lack of talent. I just cannot see how this team can enter next season without a true number two obtained via free agency and a 3rd/4th round pick as our 3rd option. Beyond Hilton I only see depth players or #3 at best on the roster. Tight end is solid and we have a weapon out of the backfield so getting a threat between the tackles and some defensive talent and we will likely see a team that can compete in January.
It's lack of talent and the thing I'm most critical of Ballard for. He seems to be either/or in free agency vs draft so far. I think most of us would agree: both can complement each other, and signing a free agent doesn't mean throwing away a youth-based build.

I look at it this way: your WR2 opposite Hilton wasn't, at any point in this roster's evolution, a long-term investment solution. Ryan Grant is a young player you want to mold into a future WR2. Neither is Chester Rogers at this point etc. MAYBE you could argue Deon Cain, but I would argue back: he was a 6th round pick and the Colts were HOPING he could flash as he did in camp, but that was always going to be a crapshoot.

So if you weren't impeding anyone else developing at that spot anyway (and even Cain, again, would have probably been a 2019 or beyond development target): why not sign Allen Robinson or someone similar to front-loaded deal instead of sitting on all this cap space?