View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 03:15 PM

Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
From Horseshoe Huddle article:

When it came time to revisit Autry's contract status in 2021 during free agency, the Colts were unwilling to match what he wanted, and that ultimately caused him to move elsewhere in the AFC South to the Tennessee Titans.

While both the Colts and Titans negotiated for Autry's services, he chose Tennessee's contract structure, which guaranteed him more during the first two years, over the Colts' offer. That really rubbed him the wrong way and his mission then became to punish the Colts twice a year.

"That makes it real personal," Autry told reporters upon signing in Tennessee. "(The Colts) knew what they had. It is what it is."

A stephen Holder tweet:

Stephen Holder
@HolderStephen
·
Follow
Don't love the Colts' decision to let DL Denico Autry walk to Tennessee, but here's the skinny: The Colts, per NFL source, did try to match. Tennessee beat them out with their structure, which gave Autry more security in Year 2 of the deal. Important for a 30-year old player.
7:55 PM · Mar 15, 2021

And a colts wire article:

“It seems to come down to the structure of the contract.

This makes sense. The Colts like to front-load the contract of a veteran player. They get more guaranteed money up front while their production is still high but the Colts can cut bait when they need to later on. For the most part, it’s a win-win for both sides.

That said, some players like to have a bit more security down the road when it comes to the contract, and that seems to be the deciding factor for Autry at this point.”

Sports illustrated article:

"The Colts, per a source, were interested in extending their relationship with the soon-to-be 31-year-old lineman," Ayello said. "In fact, they made a strong late push to try and keep him away from their AFC South rivals, but the Titans ultimately were willing to commit more to Autry in the first two years of the deal than the Colts.

There are more if you need them. Regardless, it is pretty damn clear that Autry would have remained a Colt if Ballard had negotiated differently. Everything I sees says it was guarantees. Regardless, the binder spoke, Autry went to a division rival, and the Colts weren’t better for it (IMO of course). How his die hard fans spin that to make Ballard look like the hero is up to them.

I am not disagreeing that the Titans offered a little more guaranteed money vs the Colts - what I am saying is that the first thing that pissed Autry off was that he was not extended in season.

He felt slighted from the outset because he was not prioritized for an in season extension.

In other words, the negotiations got off on the wrong foot. And even if the Colts offer was identical - I think Autry still would have chose the Titans. On the other hand, if the Colts would have surpassed the Titans offer either in overall money or guaranteed money - then I think Autry would put his hurt feelings aside.

And yes, if Ballard would have negotiated differently and tried to extend him in season, I am sure the outcome would have been completely different.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 04-06-2024 at 04:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-06-2024)