View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I think we mostly agree. If there is a guy you believe is a franchise guy then yes get him. I just don’t agree that they should definitely take the highest rated QB they can get or that it’s a given they “should be able to address the QB position” this draft. You say someone will turn out and I agree. And a couple will end up no better than JB, possibly even worse. If they believe one or two guys are franchise QBs and they can get one then great. If they believe three or four guys are franchise guys then they probably need to re-evaluate their idea of a franchise QB. My point is it is by no means a given they can get their top guy or even 2nd choice. Once you get to your 3rd choice is it really because the guy is great? Or is it because you need him to be great? Teams make that bad calculation all the time. They need a franchise QB, but they can’t force one to be available.
Well they have to believe that the guy can be a franchise QB, or is capable to reaching that status. I could have probably phrased that first post a little better. I agree you can't force it. QB is a bit of a crapshoot, and unfortunately, you have to keep pulling the trigger till you get one. The Broncos are kinda going through the same thing but they don't fully commit. We have gotten lucky the past 20 years but we are now in average QB hell. There is no Luck in this draft, but maybe there is a guy that will become one. I think with this line a QB could do well, just need someone with good vision and accuracy, able to get through their progressions fast. I've liked Burrow every time I've seen him, but I think he has played himself into the number one pick now.

I'm not in favor of a new guy just because he is new. However, if they think a guy is a franchise QB you have to go get him and don't get cute with it. Everyone ripped Gettleman for Daniel Jones, they could have gotten him with their second 1st round pick, too high, blah blah. I think he did the right thing, he didn't fuck around with it and just took him. Maybe some other team liked him, maybe not, but you have to go get your guy if he is your guy. I say this because the fans are already slotting these QBs and if we take one higher than they think he should go they will bitch about it. But that is the nature of taking a QB, they often go higher than they should because the need is so high. Ballard likes his value chart but QB's are a special situation. I just hope Ballard realizes that also because he does like his picks.