View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Ballard is making stop gap signings to put bodies on the roster while he waits to fill the position permanently in the draft. In theory this signing is fine, but to me it’s just a waste and points to Ballard seeing several drafts as the only way to build the roster. If Grant plays well do you see Ballard retaining him? I don’t. He’d be a one year wonder (Melvin) and not worth the risk. I’d much rather see a 2-3 year deal that overpaid annually but with team options (see Hanskins deal). At least if he performs you can keep him and build some continuity. I don’t see the value of one year deals for rebuilding teams. You incentivize personal numbers over team growth.
Ballard is no stranger to the 3-year contract with 1st year money guaranteed so it is really a 1 year with 2 years of team options.

My guess is that Grant wanted the 1 year contract as a "prove it" contract. After BAL pulled out, he wants to bet on himself. Fine; if he does well, he will get more next season. If not.....

1 "break-out" season in 2017 with a 77% catch rate (excellent and career high), 65 targets (career high), 45 catches (career high), 573 yards (career high), 12.7 yards per catch (career high), 4 TDs (career high), 29 first downs (career high), and longest catch of 40 yards (career high). Not bad for a former 5th round draft pick.

Honestly, I would rather reward a rising young player than a 1 year wonder. No downside to this signing.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (03-20-2018), Racehorse (03-21-2018)