View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
I read a mock that had us taking christian mccaffrey in the second. Not sure if he would be there, but if he was, would you take him with our #2?

I know it would depend on who else is available, but in general would you take him?
The ONLY way that I would be okay with taking an offensive specialty player higher than the 4th round is if we had already though: re-signing our own free agents, free agency and the 1st round of the draft, gotten:

2x OLB (one could be Walden but the other needs to be pure rush)
At least 1x ILB
At least one more body in the front 7 (D-Line, LB, don't care)
At least 1x secondary body (Butler could be that guy)

So, in my scenario, if we re-sign Walden and Butler and have added an additional 3x guys to the front seven that are new starters and not depth, then I would be okay with adding an offensive specialty player earlier than the 4th round.

And McCaffery would be a solid choice. I do worry about this one part of his NFL.com Draft Profile:
Quote:
Can shake tacklers, but lacks a twitchy burst to accelerate away after the cut. Average burst may not be enough to race past NFL speed on second level.
The college ranks are FULL of guys who have the athleticism to look good against 90% of the other college players out there.

However, the NFL is full of those other 10% of guys from the college ranks and if you do not measure up athletically.....

I am not saying that McCaffery will not make it but I hate spending a 2nd round pick on a RB who does not have elite athleticism. We can find those guys with 4th round picks.

Cheers,