View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
With a true franchise QB in place turn arounds don't take long. Its the single most important factor in winning. We've seen that now twice. If the Colts didn't have Luck I'd be much more on board with Ballard's approach..
That's funny, because I'm kind of the opposite (again). While I absolutely agree that a franchise QB is the key piece, without Luck I'd probably be more in favor of looking shorter term because it doesn't seem to me that teams without a franchise QB really have long, dominant periods. So in those circumstances it might make sense to me to try and make a surge, then to allow the team to reload for a season or two (where they might have a high draft pick to get a QB).

Quote:
You keep talking about the alternative to Ballard's approach being high priced free agents, but the one I seem to value more than you and Ballard is veteran free agents. Not every player needs to be in his mid twenties.
I really don't disagree with this, nor do I think this is necessarily what the Colts are doing. They did bring in Slauson, for example. I just think that its treacherous to start signing skill position players in their late 20's/early 30's, because those skill sets need to be finely tuned and the stats suggest that they'll be on the downside of their career at that point. Plus you'll probably be paying them based upon performance while they were in their mid-to-late 20's.

Quote:
I'm not advocating a balls out approach every season and I agree its a matter of degree. My focus would pretty much always be on this year and next. You obviously look much further out. I prefer a higher risk for what I see as a higher reward.
When you have a franchise QB you can have a dynasty. That's what I'm looking for.