View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,266 Times in 2,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post

If Matt Ryan doesn't take 2 of the most dumbass sacks I have ever seen, Falcons win that game.

Hard for me to get too up in arms about Shanahan when an MVP QB can't even recognize when to throw a damn ball away.

If I'm the Colts, I make Andrew Luck watch that tape several times this offseason to make sure he learns from Ryan's mistakes.
o

Or simply make his own call in the huddle and/or audible at the line of scrimmage for a running play.

Just because your offensive coordinator (and/or your head coach) are acting like imbeciles does not mean that you are absolved of the responsibility of recognizing their incompetence, and acting accordingly.

One of my most distinct moments of Peyton Manning's career came in the 2005 season divisional playoff loss to the Steelers. Down by a score of 21-3 with the 4th quarter about to start, Tony Dungy told the punt team to take the field. Realizing that that would have essentially been conceding the game, Manning defied Dungy and told the punt team to get the hell off of the field. The Colts went for it on 4th and 2, got the first down, and proceeded to score a touchdown on that drive to cut the lead to a manageable 21-10.

If Manning can directly defy his head coach by telling the punting team to get off of the field, then other quarterbacks (such as Russel Wilson 2 years ago, and Matt Ryan yesterday) can certainly tell their 10 teammates in the huddle to ignore the moronic play called by the offensive coordinator, and do as he (the quarterback) says.
o
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Spike (02-06-2017)